Chapter 7

For inspiring this chapter after giving me some very helpful facts about wolves:)

Samantha

Watching him take off into the woods, fire under every step he took, I felt a mixture of relief and regret. I was glad he knew about Ariana, and could be a part of her life, but I also regretted keeping her a secret. I should have told him sooner, but there was nothing I could do about it now. 

Ariana had fallen asleep, not bothered one bit by the emotions swirling around within me. I gently laid her in her basinet, and wheeled it into the dining room with me.

My thoughts were all a mess right now, so I called the only person who could help me get them in order. After the second ring it was answered, “Hey sweets, what’s up?”

“I needed to hear your voice, I miss you.”

“I miss you too, how’s Ariana doing? Has she asked for me yet?” Tristan asked cheekily.

“You know she can’t talk yet, but I’m sure the minute she does, she’ll be saying mommy first.” I laughed.

“Care to place a wager on that?”

“What are the terms?”

“Loser has to give the winner a luxurious full body massage, whip cream and caramel optional.” 

“You’re on, but we’ve got a couple months before she actually starts forming words you know.” I informed him, still smiling. He could always make me feel better.

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to do lot’s of practice runs before then, to make sure the other is getting the best massage possible.” I could picture him wiggling his eye brows as he said that. 

“Listen, Tristan, there’s something I have to tell you.” I knew I had to fill him in on what was happening before I chickened out. I would have called him before Devin came, but I knew he would rush home in a panic, and I couldn’t risk him doing something careless just to get to us.

“This sounds serious, what’s happened?” he asked, all traces of playfulness gone.

“Devin stopped by.”

“WHAT?! Is he still there? Are you okay? Does he know about Ariana? What did yo-” I stopped him there.

“Honey, wait. Calm down. Let me answer one at a time. He ran out into the woods after I told him about Ariana. I’m alright, we both are, but Devin was shaken up. I feel so bad for keeping her from him. You should have seen his face when he realized she was his. He was so hurt, I could feel it through his bond with me.” 

“Nothing he doesn’t deserve after what he did to you.” Tristan said through gritted teeth.

“No, he deserved the pain losing me caused, but he didn’t deserve to have his daughter kept from him. I’m a horrible person, Tristan.” I said as tears filled my eyes again.