Chapter Five

Monday nights were apparently movie nights. I could tell several people were off. And a glance at Arthur told me he could sense it too. Isaac wasn't doing well. In fact, worse than I had ever seen him. Katty appeared to be grieving the suicide of one of her Vampires still too, though she was very good at hiding behind a smile.

Arthur had grieved over the weekend too, but he hadn't told me much about the woman who had died beyond her name and that she had been a part of the family since the very beginning. I had expected the entire Vampire family to be a little subdued, but this went beyond that. I just couldn't quite name the heavy feeling of wrong that was growing stronger as the evening wore on.

I should have put it all together much faster. Done something to stop it. Instead, I was standing helplessly, to far away to do anything when Isaac snatched up a knife and attacked Katty.

I couldn't even move before Arthur planted a hand in the middle of my chest. There was no force behind it. Just a brief touch to tell me to stay put. Then he was rushing forward and grabbing hold of Max. Isaac had already been grabbed by Chris and Zach so I supposed it was just a precautionary thing.

I shifted uncomfortably as Tony eyed me, daring me to make a move. Jake, Henri and I just stayed put. They weren't in the habit of fighting and I knew a lost cause when I saw one. Max struggled as Katty slowly pointed the tip of the knife back at Isaac.

"Have you got a death wish?"

Max threw himself against his captors, screaming in desperation. "No! Katty please! Don't hurt him! I'll do anything! I swear, anything you want, just don't hurt him!"

I winced. He was always doing that. Promising anything and everything in substitute. One of these days, it was going to get him killed. Katty just jerked her head at Jason.

"Shut him up." She turned back to dealing with Isaac, but I could tell Max's desperation had gotten to her. I studied her carefully. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but it appeared as though she actually cared for Max. "Well? Are you really so eager to die that you would do something so stupid?"

I opened my mouth to protest when Isaac nodded, grimly accepting death for no reason. "I am. Kill me you bitch. Kill me!" I shook my head and pressed forward a step, nonthreatening as Tony was still eyeing me.

"No. Isaac, come on, it's not that bad. We can get through this alright?!" Beside me, Jake and Henri were also protesting. Max still struggled, and I could hear him beginning to sob behind Jason's hand.

Katty just gave Isaac a curious look. "Why? Have Chris and Joan been unkind to you?" He shook his head. "Is a basic function being denied you?" He shook his head again. "Then why do you want to die?"

"I won't go back. I won't stay a hostage. And since I've got nothing and no one else to run to should I be freed, I see no point in living."

I wilted a bit. There was something to be said for that logic. It was either die here or there. And I certainly wasn't looking forward to going back there to be punished for failing in our mission before dying. Katty glanced us all over.

"Your friends appear to disagree. Would you really abandon them like that?"

Isaac seemed to hesitate at that, then he shook it off. "I won't be abandoning them. Just making it that much easier on them. They won't have to worry about me any longer."

Katty hummed, studying the hopeless man in front of her. "I'll make you a deal Isaac. Seven days. You've got seven days to find a reason to live, and I want you to actually try. Talk to whoever you have to. Do whatever you think you might regret not doing. Let your friends help you find any shred of hope you might have left. And at the end of that time, if you still want to die, I'll end you myself."