chapter sixteen // harmonizing.

zayn's pov

The crowd continues to scream as Linley and Sable rush off stage, grins nearly splitting their faces in half. It brings a pain of missing performing myself deep within the pits of my stomach. Seeing Linley singing with that beautiful, genuine smile on her face reminded me why it is I do what I do. 

And I know for a fact Linley's up there for the same reason I am. I can just tell that the same proud feeling is pumping through her blood that pumps through my own when I perform. Though the two of us couldn't be more polar opposite performers, it all boils down to that same rush you can't get anywhere else. 

Laughter just rolls off of Linley's tongue and it's not laughter of humor, it's that laughter of pure amazement. It's the laugh that comes from a woman's mouth when she's so incredibly happy that she cannot be pulled down. It's honestly one of the most beautiful things in the world.

I do my best to blend into the background as Linley and Sable savor the moment. Sable throws her arms around Linley's neck and they embrace in a tight hug, allowing their pride to be exchanged by the touching of flesh. 

"That was..." Linley shakes her head, stumbling over her words as her entire body shakes with excitement. It's damn-near impossible to not just grin like a madman while watching her.

"Fucking amazing!" Sable answers for her, screaming and hollering like the energetic girl she is. 

A different man with a head-set approaches the two of them, wearing a fake smile just like the rest of them wear. 

"You can take the stage again in a few minutes," He tells them as he hands them water bottles and towels, barely looking them in the eyes before rushing off to get everything done. 

Everyone who works here looks like they're one small slip up away from spontaneously combusting. You couldn't pay me enough money to work behind the scenes at something like this. Even our own management - a team of about fifty people - live on the edge of a heart attack every day on tour. 

For the first time since Linley stepped off stage, she turns and allows her attention to be released from her adrenaline rush and settles upon my face. 

"That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," She gestures to the handcuffs linked between our wrists. I can tell that is a Linley-style compliment, thanking me for being as hidden as possible. 

I take it and run with it, returning it with a smile. I nod my head, wanting to assure her that it was never in my intentions to sabotage her performance. 

Though I'd never admit to her in a million billion years, it was actually quite amazing to be on stage with her. As a massive fan of their music - again, something I will never let slip from my mouth - I was living the dream. 

How often do you get to sit literally right beside one of your favorite bands as they perform in front of a crowd full of people wishing they were you?

Sable grabs Linley's shoulders, pulling her gaze away from my face once more as she goes off on another tangent about how amazing the crowd was. But Linley doesn't divert her attention without first giving me a genuine smile. 

* * * *

"And now, for the two lovely and talented and absolutely beautiful ladies you all have been waiting for," One of the announcer says, causing the crowd to reach an even louder volume as they were for the sound check, "Starry Eyes!" He screams before rushing off stage to make room for the two incredibly large personalities of Sable and Linley to rush into view.

I wince as the screams travel all the way up here, but it doesn't cause my smile to falter in the slightest. The energy that comes from crowds like these make it impossible to feel bad. The world could be ending, but in front of a crowd like this, you'd feel like heaven was taking over the world.