Two

When the sun sets, the frigid seasonal air becomes it's replacement. It's a quiet November evening. The only sounds are the screeches and horns of the distant downtown. On this particular Thursday night, not a soul could be heard- only the sharp whistle of the winter wind. As the night falls, Ava steps out of Mita's. She turns over the closed sign.

"Finally." she breathes out.

It's nights like these that Ava does not mind taking on the closing shift. It gives her time to recollect her thoughts. The city is quiet tonight. She does not mind though. It's soothing and comforting. When the air around her becomes light (as it is tonight), she can allow her mind to flow back to the moments that she shared with her mother. November was Etta's favourite season. Maybe it was the cool air, or the build up to Christmas, but there was something about November that brought a sense of calmness to the Hasting women. It's also those thoughts that bring a spark of warmth to Ava's hostile heart.

In the twenty-three years of her life, not once has she felt afraid of the city's darkness. Many times has she been warned by her loving bosses to "take a taxi" home, but there was something unnerving about getting into a taxi. To Ava, she had a better chance of survival if she walked home. However, tonight was different. At the pit of her stomach, she felt like something unnerving was going to happen. Pushing it aside, she continued her short trek back home.

"Well, what do we have here?" A heavy voice purred. Turning around quickly, Ava came face to face with hostile black eyes. "You know, it isn't safe for a pretty girl like you to be walking home alone." With each word the man inched closer to Ava. He reached his large hand out and hastily grabbed her porcelain face. "Maybe I should teach you a lesson."

"No thank you" she said confidently. "I know what I'm doing." Her deep brown eyes stared into his dark black ones.

"You know, missy. It's not okay to talk to a man like that. Talking back is never okay." He replied with a dirty smirk.

"Well, it's also not okay to corner young women. I guess we all aren't perfect." She retorted. After living on her own for many years, Ava learnt how to stand up for herself. She was not going to be a victim to a perverse society. Men like this did not frighten her. In fact, it encouraged her to stand her ground.

"You will pay for that, bitch." Anger began to seep into the arrogant eyes of this brash, dirty man. As he began to lift his clenching fist, Ava spoke out. "You know, you can go ahead and hit me. But, that's not going to make you a bigger man. You probably think it will make you look all mighty and powerful. It doesn't. In fact, it makes you look like a coward. A little boy." There was an air of confidence in Ava's voice. She was not going to let this man get away with what he so wanted to do. "You will not be accomplishing anything by harassing me. I think it would be best if you just let me go and we go our separate ways." With every ounce of confidence that she had left, she looked up and set her eyes on his. For a moment the man let his guard down but quickly retorted.

"You are not worth my time. You're worthless. Leave." He said while bringing down his huge arm.

"Actually, I am worth something. It's you who is not worth it." And with that, Ava pushed passed the man and continued her brisk walk home. It was in moments like this that she knew her parents were protecting her. It was in these moments that she could feel the needed strength and confidence to break through the uncertainties of life.

Meanwhile on the other side of the road, stood a tall, dark haired man. On his way home from getting drinks with a coworker, he noticed the scene that was occurring. He took notice of the young woman's body language and realized that was in fact not her boyfriend. While he was about to cross the road and become the "knight in shining armor", he overheard the conversation that took place.. "You will not be accomplishing anything by harassing me. I think it would be best if you just let me go and we go our separate ways." "You are not worth my time. You're worthless. Leave." "Actually, I am worth something. It's you who is not worth it."

There was something intriguing about this brown haired girl. The way that she stood her ground admist the unwanted harassment was attractive. As she began to cross the street and make her way to where the brown haired man was, he quickly turned around concealing himself from the girl.

After he noticed that the girl was gone, Harry turned around and made his way to his car. If there was one thing that he made sure was a priority while living in the city, was to own a vehicle. There was no way that he would set himself up for any unexpected encounter (like the one that he previously witnessed).

Pulling up to a small building downtown, Harry locked his door and walked up the set of stairs leading to his small one bedroom apartment. Unlocking his door, he was hit with a gush of harsh wind.

"Damn it."

If there was one thing that he had a tendency to do, that was forgetting to close his window. His apartment was small and cold. The heater was broken and this left the apartment cold. By leaving his window open during the day, it did not help the already growing frigid weather of his home.

After settling himself in, Harry made his way to his tiny kitchen. Filling up his kettle, he began to prepare himself a steamy cup of tea. If there was one thing that could warm him up, that was a cup of black tea. As the warm drink goes down his throat, he begins to think about the brown eyed girl. There was something about her. The way that she held herself together and spoke to her harasser reminded him of someone he once knew.

Closing his eyes, he begins to see the familiar green eyes that once haunted his dreams. Her long auburn hair flowing down her petite frame. The way that her eyes shone in the glistening summer sun. Daisies in her hair, the smell of mint and vanilla emitting from her smooth neck. Every night for the past five years he has fought to keep her from his dreams. She has an essence about herself. She knew who she was. Her confidence came from within her. And everyone that she touched felt better about themselves. She knew who she was and he was beginning to know who he was. She did not allow the demons that haunted her to take control. That was something that Harry could not say for himself. Every night he had to fight off his demons.

His mind wandered back to that day. He can still hear the screams. He knew that it wasn't his fault, but every day he could not help but feel shame. Harry, she's gone.

She was his heart's warmth.

Ever since the incident, Harry's heart has turned from warm to bitter and cold. Since that day, he has told himself that he would never allow himself to love again. It only brought pain.

"Come on Styles, shake it off," he tells himself.

Moving to Vancouver two years ago was supposed to he be his fresh start. Being a twenty year old and living away from home brought a sense of independence that he forgot he owned. There was one thing that he told himself when he boarded the plane two years ago. That was to not fall in love. He did not want to be responsible for the heart of another being. He took that chance once before, and it only brought pain. He did not want to be the source of pain to someone else. Nobody deserves to feel that way. He should know.

Ava haunted Harry's dreams that night.

He didn't know who she was nor if he would see her again. But there was one thing that he knew for certain, he would not allow himself to love her. He owed that to himself- to never love again.

**

Vote. Comment. Thank you.