Chapter 32

April's POV

A week has passed and I'd barely seen anyone around – Aiden has disappeared off the face of the earth and Diego and Emma avoided me like I had the plague. Maybe they avoided me because I flinched every time they came near me – I was trying to quit that but the whole 'werewolf' thing still disconcerted me.

Kayla had also missed whole days of school and when she was here, she'd avoid me. It was Friday now and a whole week had passed. I looked in the mirror, like every other day and cringed. The mark made me feel self-consciousness. Granted, it was fading and could only be seen when it caught the light, but it was disconcerting. Maybe because it made me feel a certain way looking at it.

I slung my bag over my shoulders and headed out the door – my car had finally broken down, albeit dramatically, on the way home from school. It was safe to say I was the laughing stock of the school when it spluttered to a slow death in the school car park.

The school day wasn't any better. Miss Rosalinda, my Spanish teacher, had to pull me to one side in class to discuss my abysmal grades - I wanted to do well in class, but my brain just did not want to learn.

Thankfully, the rest of my lessons went in a blur and I was left unnoticed until lunch. I had an hour to revise for this Spanish test and if I failed, I was going to be stuck in a damn detention with Miss Rosalinda.

"Hey Ap. What are you up to ?" Nina asked, slipping into the seat opposite me.

"Revising," I replied, not looking up at her as I highlighted a phrase. "What's up?"

"I have a date," a smile broke out across her face, "with Matthew Jordan, you know the captain of the lacrosse team? He's in the year above?" I nodded. "Well, we're going to the Cafe after school today to hang out – are you going to be working?"

"Yeah, I've been working all week."

"That's perfect... I was wondering if you could - well - maybe do me a favour?" Ah crap. "Well, you know Matt has a younger brother? Jeremy? In our year? Matt wants him to open up a little this year. You see, Jeremy finds it difficult to socialize with girls and poor Matt just wants to help him. I - I kind of offered to let him hang out with you because you and Jeremy are so alike."

She gave me a bright smile at the end, as though that would coax my anger.

"Are you serious, Nina? I'm not going on a date with Jeremy Jordan. Are you crazy? You have to be crazy Nina." I muttered, shaking my head to myself.

"April please! If you do this for me, then Matt will think I'm perfect. He cares about his brother and I admire that - I just want to show him that I'm nice. It'll be rude if I suddenly retracted my offer."

"You don't need to impress someone like that Nina, you're fine the way you are. Plus I have work and you know I need the money."

"Look I'll make you a deal." I frowned at her. "If you do this one favour for me, then I will not ask you to go to any parties or set you up with anyone else for the rest of the year. And as for work, you're only covering for someone -  you're entitled to say no to them sometimes."

"This is my first date and you're making me spend it with Jeremy Jordan? You are crazy Nina."

"Say yes and I won't annoy you for the rest of the year."

"You always annoy me."

"Fine, I won't bug you about going to any more parties for the rest of the year. And hey, I only annoy you because I love you," she cooed, slapping me across the back of my head. I scowled and shoved her slightly.