Chapter Twelve

Marley

 It's six thirty when we arrive at Trent's house. Instead of returning to a haunted mansion, there's light and music trailing down the hallway. His mother's voice softly sings to the music until the front door clicks and echoes through the tiled room.

"Trent, is that you?"

"Yes, Mum."

"Excellent! Dinner is almost ready, so wash your hands and come to the dining room."

"Thank you, but I might go to bed because today's been a long day."

She appears in the hallway with a grim smile.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." He nods with a fake yawn.

"Go and shower and I'll leave a plate in your room. I understand you're upset with what happened, but you still need to eat, especially with the extra training."

"Thanks." He nods.

"I'm here if you need to talk."

"I'm just tired."

"Okay." She nods.

Trent races to his bedroom and flops onto his bed.

"You're mother is so nice," I comment.

"She is." He nods.

"Your house is so quiet." I shudder.

"Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a sibling. This house is too big and quiet for the three of us."

"Trust me, you don't want siblings." I laugh.

Trent props himself up and smiles.

"Adam is so annoying." I roll my eyes. "I'd always come home to stupid pranks. One time he filled my room with sand and put blow up pool toys in there. I was forever vacuuming the sand up."

"I'd be that annoying sibling." Trent chuckles.

"I miss Adam, though." I sigh.

I sink onto the chair and lean against the plush cushion. Trent rolls off the bed and walks around to the couch. He sits across from me and leans on the chair.

"Adam's a good player. He almost made the elite hockey team but there was another player whose parents demanded their son be on the team. They spent a lot of money buying our new uniforms. People assume my parents buy my way into things, but my father is strict about earning everything."

"Your father sounds like a reasonable man."

"Last summer, I had to run errands for my mother so I could get the couch and television. The amount of hours isn't close enough to paying for these luxuries, but for my father, it's the principle."

"What does your mother do?"

"She runs a small design company."

"Oh."

"She's always changing our house, which secretly drives my father mad, but he loves her and likes to see her happy, so he's never said anything."

"Your house is nice."

"I hate the current phase, the dark colours make everything dark. It's better than some other themes she's had over the years." He chuckles.

"What does your father do?"

"He's the CEO of a technology company."

"I'm surprised your parents don't push you towards University or something."

Trent shrugs, but smiles.

"Long ago, my father realised my passion and determination would take me far in hockey. He respects how hard I work, so my career plans, even though they might just be a dream to someone, are accepted in his eyes."

"People would be mad not to have you on their hockey team." I sigh.

"What about you Marley?"

"What about me?" I twirl my finger around the hem of my school skirt.

"What do your parents do?"

"Mum is a social worker and Dad works for an investment firm."

"What are your plans?"

"Does it matter now?" I sigh.

"You're going to recover from this and then you'll be out in the world doing whatever you want to do. Nothing can stop you, not even death if you keep fighting."

"For my sake, I hope."

Trent tugs on a smile.

"I'm going to shower. Just be careful in case my mother walks in. She might be scared if she sees a hovering remote."

"Okay, I promise not to touch anything." I chuckle.

Trent stares at me until I shoo him away. Once he enters the bathroom, I slump against the couch and bring my knees to my chest.

I thought not knowing was the best, but I need answers now.

* * * * *