Chapter 30: Finding Rogue

Natasha Romanoff's p.o.v

"Face it, you're useless without the wings!" I said, flooring Falcon in the training room. Within seconds I was knocked off my feet by a red drone.

"Say hello to Redwing!" Sam said with a grin.

"I'm not talking to that thing!" I said, standing up and rubbing my back with a groan.

"He's cute isn't he? Go ahead, pet him!"

"I'm not touching it!" I warned.

"Just a little kiss!" he pleaded, flying it towards my face.

"I swear to God, I will smash that thing into the ground if it comes near me!" I pushed it away with my hand as Vision floated through the closed door.

"Has anybody seen Wanda?" he asked curiously. I smiled to myself. Everyone knew how much he liked her, and we all hoped that things would work out between them.

"She went somewhere with Rogue," Sam responded, getting ready to fight me again.

"I know. But they've been gone for hours. I'm starting to worry that something bad has happened."

"Nothing bad has happened!" I said with an eye roll. "Those two can look after themselves!" Which was true. They were two of the most capable women I knew, the most capable women I knew. "They're fine," I promised.

***

I awoke with a start, sweating and breathing heavily. I was dreaming about the red room again, where I was trained and raised. It terrified me to remember my life in Russia, when I was a trained assassin and nothing more, before S.H.I.E.L.D found me.

I left my room and walked along the hallway, trying to find something to distract me from the nightmare of being back there – of not being in control of who I killed. The faint smell of paint filled my nostrils as I knocked lightly on Rogue's door, seeing if she was still awake. I put my ear to the door waiting for her reply, but I was met with silence. Opening the door slowly, I was surprised to find that the room was empty.

"Rogue?" I whispered into the darkness, going from her bedroom to the bathroom and getting nothing in return. Where could she be?

My next idea was to ask Wanda. Wandering down to her floor, I knocked on the door softly, then a bit louder.

"Wanda!" I hissed, nudging the door open and finding nothing. I couldn't figure out whether or not I should have been worried – of course they could look after themselves, and they were adults. But still, something seemed off.

I traipsed back to Rogue's room, looking for something that would give me a clue as to where she was. After 5 minutes of searching and finding nothing, I decided to check her laptop.

"Password...password," I said to myself under my breath, annoyed that I hadn't thought this far ahead.

"Try 'LaylaMiller', no spaces," a voice from the doorway said. I whipped my head around quickly to see Steve watching me, his hair ruffled like he'd just woken up – which he probably had.

"Did I wake you?" I asked, taking his suggestion, which immediately worked.

"I saw the light from the computer," he responded, coming into the room and sitting on the bed beside me. "What are you doing?"

"How did you know her password?" I answered his question with a question.

"Just a guess," he said softly, looking at the laptop over my shoulder. I started by looking through the internet history.