Chapter 33

Ben
February 25, 2005

*

Same day

*

Before I can even think of a response, someone is pounding on my door.

Dammit.

Red's annoying voice comes through, making me wish it wasn't wrong to slap some sense into girls. It's not fair, guys do something stupid and girls are allowed to hit us. "Come on lovebirds, it's time to go bowling!"

Kat's gaze never leaves mine as I answer the obnoxious voice. "Just a minute." She's waiting for my answer, but what does it mean?

Does she want more? Or less?

"You better be decent!" We both manage to sit up just before the fucking door swings open.

Why the fuck didn't I lock it?

Because I'm an idiot, obviously.

"Come on, let's go knock down some pins!" She scans the room, like she's hoping to find something.

Thank god Big Ben isn't out this time.

Nate steps into the room behind her. Fucking great. Let's just have a party in here.

He kisses her cheek. "Hey babe, before we go, I need to talk to Ben. Alone."

She looks hesitant, but doesn't question him. "Okay... Just let us know when you're ready." She plants herself on the bed next to Kat.

In my fucking spot.

How did I go from making out with Kat to talking to Nate with a really awkward boner? This sucks.

Nate turns on me as soon as we reach the living room, so I decide to just get this over with. "What's up, bro?"

"Samantha." Fuck. What now?

"Think about it Ben, how did she find out where we are?" He has a point...

"I don't know, man." There's no way she should know. Nobody know where we are.

He turns on me. "Have you told anyone?"

"What? No!" Shit, that's a lie. "Well, I mean, just Kat."

"What? Why the fuck would you do that?" Is he serious right now? Why wouldn't I tell her.

"I trust her." I mean it. She wouldn't tell anyone. I know it.

"She must have told someone." Fuck no. He's crazy, isn't he?

"She wouldn't do that." She wouldn't, would she?

No way. There must be some other explanation.

"Babe, what's going on?" I look towards my bedroom door to see a very confused Red with Kat behind her.

Shit.

"Your friend just ruined everything." Nate's anger is getting the best of him. He's not thinking clearly.

Red looks back at her friend, but Kat just shrugs, wide-eyed, shaking her head. She's just as clueless as Red.

"You mean, Kat?" She points at her, as though Nate doesn't know who she is.

"Yes." He spits out, glaring at both of them.

"And what did she do, exactly?" Red steps forward, hands on her hips, glaring right back.