Chapter Thirty-three

Two months later, I was in the garden pulling weeds just outside Merlin's childhood home.

I paused in my work, stranding up straight. I wiped my face with my sleeve, grimacing at the sweat. I looked up into the hot sun, balancing the basket of weeds on my hip.

I've been here for a month and a half and I still wasn't used to the strenuous actions of working in fields. However, Hunith had been more than courteous, and the least I could do was help around the house.

So, most of my days I found myself out in the garden or tending to the animals.

Which, I didn't mind, to be completely honest. I worked extremely hard all day long, and by the time it's time to go to sleep, I'm too exhausted. I don't have any time to think about Camelot and the people I left behind.

There were a couple moments each day when I would remember my life there. When I just wake up in the morning, and the sun still hasn't risen, I can't help but remember the moments when the castle would be quiet and it felt like I was the only one awake.

I missed the castle and it's residents.

I have been pushing off returning for many weeks now. I probably should have returned weeks ago, yet here I was, standing in a garden, my hands covered in calluses.

I sighed, kneeling down again, digging up some more weeds. I tossed it in the basket, humming softly underneath my breath.

"Good morning, Dawn!"

I looked up, smiling. "Good morning, Geoffrey!"

He leaned on the fence, smiling brightly at me. He was cute in a simple way, and he was clearly interested in me, but I couldn't lead him on. Despite everything, I couldn't be investing myself into anyone.

"Hunith is working you hard, is she?"

I laughed, "I assure you, this is something I have brought upon myself!"

"You know she would gladly let you stay free of charge. Any friend of Merlin's is welcome in her home. One day, I swear, that will be the thing that gets her in trouble." He said, sighing as if he had a great weight on his shoulders.

"I would never encroach on her in such a way, and I'm pretty sure you also know that." I responded, shifting my weight to my heels.

"Ah, Dawn." He finally sighed, standing up, "You are the most selfless woman I've ever met."

"You must not meet a lot of women, then." I teased.

He reeled away, his hand on his chest, as if I had just stabbed him through the heart. I rolled my eyes, digging up another weed.

"You hurt me so!" He exclaimed, but he couldn't keep the smile off his face.

"I believe you have work to go to." I pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

He sighed, "Then I guess I'll have to talk to you later, Dawn."

I smiled and waved him away. He left to get work done and I settled down, preparing myself for a day of hard laboring. However, before I could get into it, I heard my name being called.

I looked up to see Hunith at the doorway, watching me. I stood up quickly, leaving the basket at my feet.

"Yes?" I called, moving my hand up to block the sun from my eyes.

"Can we talk?"

I tensed up, my fists clenching my skirts nervously. I nodded. Hunith turned around and entered the house again. I dumped the basket of weeds into the compost pile behind the house before cleaning up a bit and entering the cozy home.

Hunith was waiting in the kitchen, sitting at the small table in the corner. I hesitantly joined her, a lump growing in my chest. I knew what she was going to say, and even though I knew she was right, I didn't want to hear it.

"It's time for you to go home." She finally said.

I nodded my head turning to look away from her. I said, "I know."

"I saw you talking with that boy. He fancies you." She said, "And you are not even seeing him."

I opened my mouth to protest, but she cut me off with a look.

"Your mind is in Camelot." She said, "Your mind is with the people there. You are just going through the motions while you are here. You don't see anyone."

I closed my eyes, leaning back. I knew she was right, but it was hard to hear. No matter how much time I had spent here, I had left my heart back in Camelot.

"Sweetie, it's time for you to face them."

I nodded and stood up, moving to the corner of the main room that held my cot.

"Where are you going?" She asked after me.

"To pack my bags."

"I didn't mean you have to leave right this second!" She exclaimed.

"I am aware. However, now that my mind is made up, I need to get out of here." I responded, "Not to offend you in any way. Your hospitality has been too much."

"Of course not." She laughed, "I understand."

I paused in my packing to turn around to face her. I said, "If you would like to write a letter for Merlin, I will deliver it."

"Thank you, my dear."

She hurried to write one as I finished packing. Now that I had decided to return to Camelot, I was eager to hit the road.

The next few hours were a whirlwind, but the next thing I know, I'm on top of Abatos, saying goodbye to Hunith.

"Thank you, Hunith." I said, reached out to hold her hand, "I can never repay you for what you have done for me."

"Just take care of Merlin for me, honey." She sighed, "You do that and we'll be even."

She had taken on a joking tone, but I could tell she meant it. I nodded, and gave her one last wave before racing away.

Finally, I was on my way back home.