14 : New Romantics

We're so young but we're on the road to ruin
We play dumb but we know exactly what we're doing

14 : New Romantics (edited)

Catherine was this close to sneaking out of Hogwarts with the use of the Map when some second year Ravenclaw boy came up to her, informing her that Dumbledore requested her presence. She sighed, a bit disappointed she wouldn't be able to go to Hogsmeade but went to the professor's office anyway. She rapped lightly on the door. "Sir? It's me, Catherine."

"Yes, do come in," came Dumbledore's gentle voice.

Entering, Catherine lingered by the door as she patiently watched Dumbledore sort through a few documents and papers, looking quite distraught. Dumbledore glanced up at her through his spectacles. "Take a seat, Cathy."

"Thank you, sir." She strode across the room, making herself comfortable on the chair in front of Dumbledore.

"I apologize for the mess." Dumbledore chuckled upon setting aside the rest of the papers. "But there was an unexpected visit last night."

Catherine's eyebrows furrowed as she tilted her head to the side in confusion. "What do you mean, professor?"

Dumbledore's expression turned grim as his eyes bored into Catherine's. "Cathy," his voice was no louder than a whisper. "Aside from James, who else knows about your powers?"

Catherine pursed her lips before replying, "Sirius, Remus, and Peter, sir. No one else. Not even Lily." Dumbledore nodded, taking what she said into consideration. His lips were pressed into a thin line, making Catherine ask, "What exactly happened last night, Professor?"

"Five Death Eaters were seen attempting to break in Hogwarts last night."

Catherine's blood turned cold. She's heard stories of You-Know-Who and none of them were very pleasant. Her breathing turned heavy as she waited in anticipation for Dumbledore's next words.

"They were outside the castle where the Gryffindor common room is." Dumbledore frowned slightly as he said, "I think he knows about you."

Catherine was shell-shocked, she could barely process his words. "B—But . . . how . . . ?"

"One way or another, we have a spy amidst us. There must be someone else who knew." Dumbledore stared at her expectantly, and Catherine realized what he was implying.

She shook her head fervently. "Professor, I swear. There truly is no one else I've told."

He looked at her for a bit before nodding. "Very well." He then stood up, pushing himself off his chair as he made his way to the fireplace.

Catherine eyed Dumbledore warily, her eyebrows drawn together as she watched the wizard take a pot with Floo Powder. "Professor, what are you—?"

"Quickly, now." He ushered her over, gesturing for her to enter the soot-filled fireplace. "Watch your head."

She ducked obediently but was still confused as hell. Dumbledore thrusted a hand out for her to take a handful of Floo Powder. His eye seemed to twinkle with mirth as though he was remembering a happy memory from long ago despite the current situation. "Do you know the address of your grandmother?"

Catherine's eyebrows flew upwards. "Grandma Victoria?!"

Dumbledore let out a hearty laugh. "Heavens, no! That woman is as blind as a weevil and refuses to see sense." Dumbledore cleared his throat. "I feel that you fondly remember your father's mother in a brighter light."