Chapter 27

SUNDAY EVENING.

CALLED Ron, left a message. Did a quick jog in the mild evening air, had Thai takeout. Nothing on the Internet about Phoebe. Early to bed. Dreamed of Thomas and his lips. Woke up, startled and confused. Dreamed of Ron, more than his lips.

Another quick jog in the morning to clear my brain even more. Went to my shop around ten and opened. Mrs. Otis wobbled in on ultra high heels that promised to increase business by 100 percent should a busload of male tourists stop in front of the store with her in plain view.

Around lunchtime, I took a stroll to the Petit Casino and ordered sandwiches and fruit salad for the both of us. When I came back to the shop, I found Mrs. Otis in conversation with Officer Ron Closeky. My, my, didn't our shop get attention from male suitors, lately.

She was deeply looking into his eyes, sitting on the barstool behind the counter; Ron was ogling her cleavage and everything else.

After I swallowed my first jolt of jealousy, I had to clear my throat twice. "I can leave, if you want."

Mrs. Otis and Ron both looked at me as if I was indeed the fifth wheel.

Ron gave me a quick peck on the cheek. Take that Mrs. Otis. We sat outside; the flower shop beside my store had a bench in front. Ron quickly fetched a sandwich, too, and we had a joint munch.

"Business. I had an interview with Andrew Altward this morning at his Newport residence," he said.

I stopped chewing.

Ron continued. "I didn't ask him directly, hinted that there is some ongoing activity in the jewelry scene and that the scene was waiting on word about some very valuable old Mexican items, the Maximilian Jewels, coming to the market. Altward replied that he had nothing to tell me."

"He offered nothing, not even an opinion?" I asked between bites.

"He didn't, just went over it. He was as agitated as before, his Calder statue is still being held as evidence, the Montenhaute jewels that he claimed to have been stolen have not been found yet."

"And did you ask him about Phoebe Eastman wearing one of the Maximilian pieces?"

Ron finished his sandwich and cleaned his fingers in a small birdbath from the flower shop next door. Sometimes men could be disgusting. "I asked him whether he and Phoebe Eastman had a relationship."

"And?"

"He didn't deny it. It seems like he was a little uncomfortable about having a much younger girlfriend. At least in front of me."

"And what about the fact that he omitted the relationship when he talked to us?"

"Guess what, he didn't think it was relevant."

"Did you have a chance to interview Phoebe as well?"

"No, she didn't call back yet. And she wasn't home yesterday when I dropped by to give her a surprise visit."

"Think she bolted?"

Ron gave me an amused look and smelled a sunflower. "Think she did it? Killed her old man?"

"No, not the killing. But isn't it possible that she is involved in the break-in. Her old man maybe had insights into the security of the place." When Ron looked at me speculatively, I said, "Not my theory, ask Mundy, he came up with it."

"How is he?" I wondered if Ron secretly wished that Mundy had broken his neck over the weekend. Or maybe he was pulling my leg and laughing himself silly inside.