Chapter 34

Her hands trembled and her eyes widened. She closed her eyes in agony, after so many weeks, he had finally messaged. But it was too late. In anger and frustration, at the early days of her marriage, she had deleted his number from her phone. But his number was imprinted in her heart. She knew it well it was him. The man who had taken over heart. The man whose haunting memories were inseparable like her own shadow. Her lower lip quivered and she bit it to stop from sobbing. She missed him. His memories were there at every waking moment of her days and her dreams... he had invaded them as well. She had no escape. None at all.

Now as she stared at the brief text message, she didn't know what to do. She discreetly looked over her shoulder and observed the gradual rise and fall of Salman's back indicating he was in deep sleep. He would kill her if he found out. Besides, she just couldn't betray him no matter what heart desired. Clicking on the text message she pressed to delete it. One last time, she thought over. She would have readily replied had he not left her without any word at the time she trusted him the most. Her heart maybe crying for him, but she was still seething deep down for how he ditched her on their wedding day. Had he not left her, she wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. She had loved him with all her heart and soul, withholding nothing back and he had thrown everything, all those memories, those words to her face and walked out. Not even the courtesy to explain his actions.

No Daud Siddique, I don't care what my heart says. I won't surrender to it. She finally deleted the text message.

Daud was her past. Salman was her present and future. She was struggling in this relationship. But that didn't mean she could go back to her past. A tear escaped her desolate eye down her temple to her hair. A beautiful past locked in her heart forever. Fresh tears trickled down, talking to him again will be torture. Knowing he was only minutes away from being hers truly for life and now she was helpless. Someone else's wife, she couldn't just indulge in talking to him. Her life was with Salman, even though, it wasn't what she had dreamed of. Inhaling deeply, she turned to Salman and for the first time since they married she scooted closer to her husband, her chest nearly touching his broad back muscles. She draped her arm over his waist, her cheek resting against his back, closing her eyes she felt his scent that she was getting familiar with. The amber, musk scent of his cologne and a mix of just him. She inhaled and his muscles flexed under her hand on his stomach. Basking in his strength, she closed her eyes and truly believed she was content.

****

With one eye open, Salman hastily switched off the ringing phone alarm. He stretched his arms over his head and as he fully awake to pray pre-dawn prayer when he felt someone snuggled against his back. Nawal's arm was around his waist. Warmth spread through his chest, lips twitched in pleasure, his hand found hers that was over his stomach. He lightly rubbed her knuckles with his thumb. Whatever, annoyance he had disappeared with this small gesture of hers. Bringing her hand to his lips, he gently kissed it. Then slowly turned to face her.

She was sleeping peacefully. Brushing back her hair, he gazed at her face. Why couldn't they learn to live happily? Why all the bickering? All this anguish? He pecked her forehead and carefully detangled himself from her. He knew she wasn't praying, there was no point waking her up. With one last longing glance, he walked to the bathroom.

When he was done with the prayer, he sat on the prayer mat thinking over his relationship with his wife. She was as stubborn as him. Not ready to apologize. But her actions spoke what her lips didn't utter. This was enough for Salman. He would let go. With these thoughts, he lifted the sheets and stretched beside her on the bed. She hadn't moved instead continued to sleep soundlessly. Encircling his arm around her waist, he brought her closer to him.