Chapter 74

Hey guys, this chapter was pretty rushed... It really should have gone over two or three chapters, but stuff got in the way... Thanks for reading, how you like it!!

______________________________________________________________________________

**George’s POV**

After a few days – okay, a couple of weeks – I go home, ready for the tongue lashing from my wife. I apparate outside the house and walk up the path.

“You should go.”

“But why?”

“George will be home soon!”

I frown slightly and pull the door open.

“Maddie, I-”

“What’s going on?” I ask, walking into the living room. Maddie is standing there in a bathrobe with a tall, dark haired boy. The boy glances at me and then back at Maddie.

“I feel like a kid who’s been caught with my hand in the cookie jar,” he laughs, “I’m Damien.”

I look over his shoulder at Maddie who is looking furious and guilty at the same time.

Had I walked in on my wife having an affair with a foreigner? He certainly didn’t sound British.

“Well, maybe I should go,” Damien says, “I’ll see you soon.”

As soon as I hear him disapparate I look at Maddie.

“It’s not what you think,” she says immediately.

“Are you wearing anything under that?” I ask.

“Oh, my God, George! I’m not having an affair!” she says.

“Why would you jump to that conclusion?” I ask casually, sitting down on the couch and crossing my legs, “attractive men see you in nothing but a bathrobe regularly.”

“No, an attractive man sees me in nothing but a bathrobe regularly,” Maddie says walking over and sitting very close to me, “and he’s the only one I’d want to see me like this.”

“Yet here we are.”

Maddie sighs.

“I know it looks bad,” she says, “but it really only looks bad.”

“Is this revenge for the Vanessa thing?” I ask.

“Yes, George, I slept with Damien to get revenge on you. Happy?”

Sarcasm. Lowest form of humour, sharpest form of blade.

“Well, can you explain, please?”

You remember when we took Alithea to see your dad in hospital?” Maddie asks, “and how we had that fight and I disappeared for a couple of weeks?”

“Oh, you didn’t!” I cry, horrified.

“No, nothing like that,” she says, shaking her head, “I stayed at his house, that’s it. But we became friends and apparently, he has a thing for me.”

“Which is why he was in my house while you were in nothing but a bathrobe?” I ask, a smile twitching at my lips. Maddie shakes her head, smiling.

“That was just bad timing,” she admits, “I’d just gotten out of the bath when he knocked and you arrived home not ten minutes after.”

“Honestly, I think it was good timing,” I admit sheepishly, “I was expecting you to be ready to curse me into oblivion.”

“Really?” she seems genuinely surprised, “after all the times I bolted?”