Chapter 36: Nick's Tactics

So I went on a hunt to find an image of Nick so you guys could have a visual... But after 30 seconds of searching up "little boy" and finding articles of pedophiles and creeps, I've decided that y'all have an imagination and you can use it. So... No picture of Nick lol.

Aria's POV
"So what do we do now?" Chris asked, watching as my mother and I began to piece our case files together.

"I'm going to send this in to a friend of mine within the precinct. He will let us know what he finds on Pat Gonzales. The only issue that I can think of now is, this case may turn out to be much more than Lacey bargained for. Our first course of action will be to tell Lacey. It's up to her whether she would still like to press charges, or let the police investigate this situation before hand." My mother explained, paper clipping the loose printed sheets together.

"I would rather, we get Lacey on that stand with the situation still fresh." I added, as my mother rose from her seat.

"I'll leave you two to it. You can continue to investigate, but I recommend you don't approach Sarah. Remember, you guys aren't cops. Don't do anything that could jeopardize this case." My mother ordered, as she made her way towards the elevator. "Will you walk me down, Chris?"

"Y-Yeah, sure." Chris nodded, as he slid out of his chair. I eyed my mom skeptically, silently praying she went easy on him. This was the first time Chris and my mother would be alone, and my mother was disastrously unpredictable.

"Goodbye, Aria." My mom nodded as both her and Chris walked into the elevator.

"Bye, mother." I nodded back, watching the doors close in front of them, before the elevator jerked to life.

Chris's POV

"You have a very beautiful home." Ms. Lane commented, as we descended down the many floors.

"Thank you, I know it's not very homey, I do t spend much time there." I admitted.

"Is that because you spend more time at my daughter's home?" She asked, glancing at me through her false lashes.

"I-I - Well, I-" I stuttered, unsure how to answer that.

"I'm kidding... Partially. Explain to me how you and my daughter met again?" She asked, turning fully to me as she waited for an explanation.

"Well, she works at the elementary that my son, Nick, goes to."

"You have a very beautiful son." She commented.

"Thank you. He's a very big fan of your daughter. She's really amazing, at quite literally everything she does."

"You haven't seen her try to cook, I take it?" She joked, as the elevator doors opened.

"How bad?" I asked, liking this humorous side of Ms. Lane I quite honestly never thought she had.

"She burned out kitchen down when she was 14. It was the fire of '09." She spoke seriously.

"Woah." I whispered, holding the elevator as she walked through. "Well, her art is beyond anything I have ever seen before. She's ignited this spark of creativity within Nick. Now he paints everywhere and on everything." I added. Ms. Lane's face lit up as we walked into the lobby area.

"I'm glad she's doing something that she has finally found happiness in." She nodded, walking towards the entrance doors. "I'm also glad she's met someone who she has found happiness with." She turned back to me. "But let me make something perfectly clear, Chris. If you even glance at my daughter the wrong way, I will ruin your entire business from the inside. I will cripple your kingdom as I destroy whatever political alliances you may have with other companies. Do not think for a second you are safe." She spoke directly in a low and chilling tone before pushing open the front door and walking out.

I stood stunned, unsure of what to do or say. Her demeanor had changed in practically seconds as a chill ran down my spine. I wasn't sure what it was, but within those seconds, I felt as if this woman was capable of doing unthinkable things for her family- for Aria.

Walking back to the elevator, I tried to put everything into place as I slid my key into the key holder and pressed the button for the penthouse. Today had really given both Aria and I a run for our money. Learning who Steve Garret really was, and figuring out that Sarah was Mary. All of this was a lot, and I just hoped that Lacey would take it all well. Through our marriage, I had never exceeded her limitations, but I knew the feelings she had for Steve were real and genuine- genuine enough to ruin her if she learned the truth.

"You're alive." Aria sighed in relief, as I walked out of the elevator.

"That-That was real worry I just saw in your eyes... Was I in actual danger?" I asked hesitantly, as I walked towards her.

"Possibly." She shrugged, moving back to my bookshelf as she searched for something interesting to read.

"Possibly?" I asked, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind as she pulled The Great Gatsby off my shelf.

"You never know with my mother." She admitted, instantly leaning into my touch. It felt so good to be this close with her.

"That's very alarming." I answered, holding her tighter.

"Morning." Nick groaned, as he appeared from around the corner of the hallway.

"Bud, it's almost 11 at night." I replied, as Aria carefully detached her arms from me to swoop him up.

"Really? That's unfortunate... Father?" He asked formally, turning to me.

"Yes, my child?" I answered back with the same formal tone.

"I cannot sleep, dear father. Come read to me." Nick nodded, opening his hands for me to grab him. I reluctantly pulled him into my side as Aria and I made our way down the hallway towards his room.

"I'm only reading a chapter." I hissed in his ear as he gave me a devilish grin. He was up to something.

"Oh, I'm sorry father, was I about to interrupt something?" He asked in mock sympathy as I pushed his door open.

"Why you little-"

"You know, Aria, I think you should read me those kids chapter books over there." Nick said, pulling a puppy dog face as Aria nodded almost instantly.

"You know those books are endless and will take forever." I whispered hastily.

"Oh will they? I hadn't noticed." He grinned back at me.

"What do you want?" I asked, feeling defeated almost instantly by the hands of my 6 year old child.

"Sleepover with Timmy Thursday night."

"That's a school night." I shook my head almost instantly.

"I promise you father, I will do everything in my power to interrupt every intimate moment with you and Aria. Tread lightly and choose wisely." Nick grinned as Aria returned with at least 10 chapter books.

"These are... Quite a bit." Aria noted, glancing back between the books and Nick and I.

"Fine." I sighed, grumbling slightly as Nick grinned with excitement before faking a yawn.

"You know Aria? I'm suddenly oh so very tired. You and Chris can leave my chambers now." Nick nodded as he pulled the covers back over himself.

"I'm not even going to ask." Aria shook her head as we both left Nick's room.

That little bugger won this round... But there was no way in hell he was going to Timmy's on a school night.

------------------------------
Fun, filler chapter. Hope it wasn't too horrible. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments, you guys are fucking hilarious😂