Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve (Rick's POV)

I woke up from the freakiest nightmare I had ever had. It worse than any that I had back in high school and it was enough to have my eyes flying wide open, but I felt like I couldn't move because it was so... real. I couldn't believe I had that sort of nightmare.

I finally managed to tilt my head to the side to see Devin. He was fast asleep on the bed next to me and I breathed a sigh of relief to see him still breathing. I sat up, but slowly when I felt a dull throb of pain commence in my abdomen. I took a deep breath and heaved myself upright, reaching up to ruffle my hair in irritation.

I couldn't believe I was back in the hospital again. Talk about accident prone. I sighed, shaking my head and leaned against the headboard, closing my eyes and taking another deep breath to relax. I could still feel my heart pounding in my chest and I wanted to get up and get in bed next to Devin, but he'd probably pitch a fit.

Then again, his sleeping habits were terrible. He probably wouldn't notice it right away.

Which brought me to think about what had led to us being here in the first place.

Damien was one sick son of a bitch. He was stalking Devin. I knew it. I knew there was something freaky about that guy the moment I saw him. He was an immediate threat and what really peeved me off was that fact that I couldn't protect Devin. Sure, I got there, but it was almost too late.

Any later and something terrible could have happened to Devin, something that sounded just like my nightmare and I actually felt a lump form in my throat at the thought. I buried my face in my hands, trying to calm down. I hated thinking about these things. They were juvenile.

I was older now. This wasn't a high school relationship... Then again, on Devin's part it was. I was older than him by what? Six, seven years or something? That wasn't entirely what bothered me, though. It was just the fact that I couldn't help Devin that was pissing me off. I shouldn't be beating myself up over this, and yet, here I was wishing I could turn back time and kill Damien while I still had the chance.

The raw rage that boiled in my veins was setting me on fire. Enough so that I had to throw the covers back and stretch out carefully to get some air.

I wanted to fucking grab Damien around the throat and strangle him until his eyeballs popped out of his skull and his tongue fell off. The more I thought about it the angrier I got and I wanted to throw something, smash something, break something. Anything!

I rolled over to grab something to throw, but stopped in mid-reach as my eyes landed on Devin again. He seemed to be pretty deep in sleep, his face buried against his pillow and his eyes closed with his lips parted just a bit as he breathed softly. I felt my muscles loosen as I was forced to relax at the sight of him sleeping so peacefully.

Damn it. I hated keeping all this rage pent up... If didn't smash something soon, who knows what might happen? I might throw another tantrum in front of Devin. Or worse.

I could hit him.

The thought choked me and I leaned back against the headboard of the bed, reaching up and pressing the heels of my hands to my eyes firmly.

No, no, no. Shut the hell up, Rick. We both know you'd never hit Devin. Just the idea of it is freaking you out. The action is just... No. I would never hit Devin. I would never hurt him like that. So why did I keep thinking about it?

Jeez, Vic was right. I do need anger management. I snorted at the thought.

Ha. Yea. Me. Anger Management. Hilarious.