012

"I'D BE AN ANCHOR, BUT I'M SCARED YOU'LL DROWN."

PROFESSOR Snape practiced favouritism, often by being much more lenient towards Slytherin. It annoyed Arden Gosse but she never said anything. She always sat quietly in her seat and did her work. Thankfully her class was with Hufflepuff so both of the houses were treated with equal resentment. Her table mate, Cedric Diggory, was a nice young man who respected Arden. He didn't say much either, which Arden knew was out of character for him because he was a popular boy who was always seen chatting in the courtyard or at dinner. She knew he was quiet for one of two reasons– 1) He didn't know what to say to Arden and 2) He knew Arden didn't speak much and so didn't want to make her uncomfortable by firing up a conversation.

Nonetheless, Cedric Diggory was a person Arden tolerated and if the castle was on fire, she'd consider going back to save him. That's what decent people did, but people who were incapable of loving weren't considered decent, so the fact she considered the possibility of saving Cedric in a hypothetical fire was a step for her as a person.

Todays potions class seemed to have many students, particularly the hopeless romantics, on their toes. Arden was unfazed however and took a seat, pulling the latest letter from her father out of her robe pocket. She unfolded the parchment and out fell three photos. It wasn't odd for her father to send her photographs, but it was odd for him to send pictures of dresses.

"Dearest Arden,
Since the Yule Ball is quickly approaching and you will not be coming home for holiday break :( I have sent three photos of dresses you may like to wear to the ball. Forgive me for I am not the most stylish, but I believe that these would fit your style quite well.

I'm glad to hear that you have stood up for yourself and also that George is standing up for you as well. I know it's hard for you to put others feelings into consideration though, so please try not to be so harsh on other students. Or keep doing you, as long as I'm not getting owls from anyone complaining about your behaviour.

Deepest regards,
Dad. x"

The first photo she picked up was a beautiful black dress that she was sure would make her feel like a powerful woman. It had a high neck neckline and went to the floor. The material was a sheer black with obvious silk underneath in order to cover her properly.

The second dress was a more vintage style. Although it was shorter, it'd probably stop a few inches above her knee, Arden thought it was made for a goddess. The neckline was a v-neck and the top portion of the dress had jewels on it. It was tight around the waist and then flowed out in slim ruffles. The whole dress was a creme colour that Arden was in love with.

The final dress had a black halter-strap top that would hug her waist before it too would fall down to the ground in egg white ruffles. It was a beautiful dress.

"I'd go with the second or third dress." A male student said from beside her, startling the Ravenclaw.

Cedric Diggory had slid into his seat without Arden noticing and was shamelessly looking over her shoulder at the photos she held in her hand.

"Sorry." He apologised sheepishly. "The first one is nice but it seems too classy or fancy for a school dance, even if it's the Yule Ball. The second one is cute and doesn't show much as the first one would expose your back completely. The second one is just the shortest. And the third one would fit you nicely, I think it goes with your type of aura I suppose. Mysterious and beautiful. But it's all up to you, I was just saying in case you wanted somebody's opinion. The second and third would suit you best but all of them would look good on you." He shrugged.

Arden stared at the boy with her mouth slightly ajar. Although she didn't ask his opinion – she never asked for an opinion, especially not from a male student – she was grateful because he helped narrow it down to two dresses.

"Thank you." She awkwardly smiled, tucking the letter and photos into the envelope.

Cedric mumbled a 'no problem' before Professor Snape glided to the front of the classroom, his usual bored expression on his face. "Good evening." He drawled out monotonously.

The Hufflepuff beside Arden repeated the words, yet the girl said nothing and just stared at the man.

"Today," he began, scanning the students. "We will start brewing a powerful potion, difficult for many. But since this is an advanced class, I assume you won't have much trouble. Turn your books to page 278 and begin reading."

All of the students obeyed and flipped through the book. Arden's breath hitched in her throat as she read the pages.

On page 278 were the instructions for Amortentia, the love potion. It was this potion that her mother tricked her father into drinking for years before Arden was born and she fled.

"Amortentia," Professor Snape said loudly, gathering Arden's attention. Many students were clearly excited to brew the potion, they were leaning closer and their eyes were wide with goofy grins plastered onto their faces. "This is the most powerful love potion in existence. Tell me Diggory, what does this potion do?"

Cedric, whom to Arden's delight also looked bored, sat up straighter to answer the professors question. "Amortentia causes extreme infatuation and obsession to the drinker. It doesn't actually cause anyone to love because it's impossible to create or imitate love."

Snape eyed Cedric for a second before continuing with his directions. After another five minutes of useless droning, he told the students they had an hour to finish the potion.

Without the enthusiasm that her classmates shared, Arden began to start the potion. When the hour was nearly over, both Cedric and she stared into the silver cauldron filled with the highly dangerous potion. The liquid had a pearly sheen and steam spiralled out.

Professor Snape strolled to their table and looked into their potion, taking a whiff of the shiny liquid. "Good job Gosse and Diggory." He said, although the two knew it wasn't genuine. "What do you smell, Diggory?"

Cedric's cheeks flushed slightly but he leaned forward and inhaled deeply. "I smell parchment paper, old books, and cherry blossom. And I also smell—"

"Gosse, what do you smell?" Snape said abruptly, cutting Cedric off. The Hufflepuff discreetly rolled his eyes and sat back, watching Arden for her answer.

The Ravenclaw sighed and leaned towards the cauldron, breathing in the aroma. She stepped back and looked at the professor, her eyes stone hard.

"Nothing, Professor." She answered. "I smell nothing."