Chapter Forty-one

I stood around the room for the longest time, just looking at the place where we had lived for the last year. It was to amazing to see how far we have come.

I sighed, shook my head, and left to go find Arthur. I had left him very abruptly, and I needed to go to him as soon as I can. I had spent too much time ignoring my feelings for him, I wanted to be near his side for the rest of my life.

It was amazing how everything had worked out.

Fayelinn and Gwaine were in love and happily married, and Arthur had canceled his wedding for me. I mean, I was homeless, and I didn't have a job anymore, but I was loved. And that was worth everything.

"Dawn!"

I whirled around, smiling when I saw Merlin heading my way. He jogged to catch up, stopping when he was a couple feet away.

"Arthur found you, then?" He asked, smirking slightly.

I blushed, looking down at my dress. It was in surprisingly good condition, despite the fact that I hid out in a horse barn.

"How'd you know?" I asked, smiling slightly.

He gently grabbed my hand, pulling it up so I could see the ring on my finger. I laughed, completely stunned. It felt so right there, that I had forgotten about it completely.

"Actually, that is from Faye." I said. I couldn't seem to stop smiling.

"Wait, what?"

I giggled again, as he dropped my hand. I quickly explained the events of the day, from Arthur finding me on top of the wall, to Fayelinn giving me the ring before she left to live with Gwaine.

"Well, she was right." Merlin admitted, "The ring does truly belong to you."

"I am not someone who is meant to be Queen, Merlin." I told him, sighing.

As happy as I was to finally get the chance to be with Arthur, I knew I would be overwhelmed in the days to come. Not to mention the fact that Arthur and I hadn't even had the chance to talk. For all I know, I won't even have the chance to be Queen.

"It is your destiny, Dawn, to rule at his side." He told me. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"So you can see the future now, Merlin?" I asked, my tone dry.

He frowned at me, and didn't answer, knowing the question was rhetorical.

"I may not be able to see the future, but I can see what is around me." He said, raising an eyebrow. He was waiting for me to challenge him, but all I did was motion him to continue, "You have been able to manage Faye for years, even when she was at her most difficult; a kingdom isn't much different."

I laughed, shoving him slightly away in jest. His eyes twinkled. I wondered if everyone was feeling the joy of today. It was crazy to think that this morning had started out with a wedding.

"So you wouldn't mind having me as a Queen?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. I tried to seem nonchalant, but we both knew that I cared to hear his opinion on the matter.

"I would not mind if you were a troll, let alone a Queen!"

I laughed again, and said, "Now, we both know that is not true. You, yourself, has told me of Uther's marriage to a troll. I am sure you minded then."

"You'd be the troll that would be the exception!" He declared, nodding seriously. However, he couldn't hide the smile that overtook his face.

"Oh, I'm sure." I joked.

Silence fell upon us, seeing as we were both content to just be in each other's company. Merlin and I had become good friends since Faye and I arrived on horseback so many months ago. It was amazing how fast we became to trust each other.

"Thank you, Merlin." I said, finally breaking the silence.

He looked at me out of the corner of his eye, completely confused. He asked, "Whatever for?"

"Being my friend."

His face broke into a grin, and nodded, his cheeks flushing red in a blush. Finally, he nodded in the direction behind me.

"Go." He said, "Go find him. He'll be waiting for you, I'm sure."

"Do you know where he is?" I asked, finally remember my previous task of finding Arthur.

"I believe he has been in the courtyard."

I grinned at him. I turned to leave, but at the last minute, I whirled around and smacked a kiss on Merlin's cheek. He blushed, and tried to stutter a response, but nothing came out. I flashed him a smile and started racing down the halls.

After all this time, I was finally going to be with Arthur. It was amazing to think about. Good things come to those who wait.

I hurried down the corridors, walking as fast as I could without breaking into a full sprint. I held my skirts out in front of my body, making sure I wouldn't get tangled up in them. However, every once in awhile, I could get overzealous and step on the hem.

It was a shame this dress would be in such a bad quality by the time I took it off at the end of the night.

I picked up my pace a little bit, the grin never leaving my face. Finally, I burst out of the main doors and out into the courtyard. The sun temporarily blinded me, and I moved my hand up to shield my eyes.

Arthur was standing across the space, his back turned to me.

"Arthur!" I called out, my voice echoing slightly.

He turned around at the sound of my voice. He smiled hesitantly in my direction, but it grew more confident as he saw the expression on my face.

Suddenly, the smile faltered before disappearing completely. The happy expression slid off my face and a scream ripped itself out of my throat.

"There's been threat of an attack to the kingdom." I heard Faye's voice whisper in the back of my mind.

I stumbled down the stairs, my eyes locked on the one sight that could have ruined my day. The one sight that sent my heart pounding with fear and dread.

The sight of an arrow sprouting out of Arthur's chest.