Chapter 9

All I had to was sit and class like normal, right?

That's proven to be impossible since every few minutes my eyes would dart over to the clock, even when I knew already that barely any time has passed since the previous time I looked. Every quick second I would take to the clock, had me nervous to turn back around since I didn't want my teacher to catch me not paying attention, even though my mind couldn't really focus on anything but 'and I have how many minutes until I'm at Harry's side now?'.

20. 

That last time was 27, so at least I'm being more now spacious about giving myself a neck cramp. 

I let out a sigh as I rested my chin on my hand, the bone of my elbow being pushed down onto the hard desk as I propped it up. My other hand remained in my lap as I tapped my pen against my thigh. If I didn't have this pen right now, I'd probably be anxiously drumming my fingers against the desk or my leg. I didn't need to bring attention to myself.

Niall, are you okay?

Yes, sir. I'm just waiting for your boring lecturing to be over so I can leave early and walk alone in the hallways with Harry Styles. It's not that big of a deal or anything. 

I craned my head again to look at the clock.

18.

"Mr. Horan, would you like to add in on some insight about the discussion. You appear to be keenly interested in something." My teacher spoke, causing a mixture of chuckles from my fellow students.

I shook my head. "No, sir. I have nothing to add. I didn't mean to disrupt you." I apologized, heat washing over my face in embarrassment. The one thing I didn't want to happen has happened, but at least it passed some time. 

"You didn't because all I did was assign tonight's reading for you to get started on." He raised his eyebrow at me. "You'll have to get it from one of the other students before you leave."

I felt like sinking into my chair, sliding off of it only to turn into a puddle under my desk for the next student to step in with their dirty shoes. I was usually the type of student who always paid attention because I never wanted to miss anything, well that was when I wasn't spending my class time daydreaming away about being on the football team or being with Harry in ways that I clearly wasn't going to be. 

"You have the next 15 minutes to get a head start on your coursework. I suggest you use this extra time wisely because I usually always have a full lesson planned during our time together." The teacher explained before he went back to his desk. He raised his arm to me to tell me to go get my assignment from people I never speak to. 

I cowardly turned around to look behind me at my classmates. They all were either gathering with their friends to whisper or they were burying their faces in their books. I didn't want to disturb any of them. I only talked with them when we had to do group projects or if I didn't want to work alone. I usually chose the most work or the most challenging parts of it so maybe they'd accept me into their groups. It seems sad but it affected my grades too and I wanted to keep my spot as water boy. For having such academic smarts, I really lost out on the social aspect. 

As I peered over the studious, and not so studious, students I noticed Liam sitting in the back with some of the more popular students. I guess the football status gave him some upper-hand on the social ladder. His face was crinkled with a smile as he tried not to laugh at something. 

My back sank down from being straight as I assumed that Liam wouldn't want to talk to me with them around, like Harry seemed to be with his following. They had 14 minutes left, where I only had 9 so I had to gain some confidence and just get up and walk over to them. I couldn't compare Liam to Harry like I could compare Harry to Liam.