James Potter II x Alice

Requested by: FangirlingHufflepuff

(A/N Down with the fourth wall!! Also, this is kinda an au/headcanon. I'm not sure what to call it, but it's definitely not canon. Another also, based on the song Can't Help Falling In Love With You, originally by Elvis Presley, but the video above is a cover by Haley Reinhart.)

James has always loved muggle music. Maybe it's because there's been so much influence from the muggle world on his own wizarding world in the last few years. There are magical bands loved by both wizards and muggles. There are doctors and even whole hospitals full of wizards, treating muggles with magic under the guise of medicine. The music that has churned out from their combined works has been James's favorite by far. There are more squibs now than ever, and the term itself had to be expanded to the vast majority of muggle people with muggle parents now learning of the wizardly world. Most of which have been high official of state and trusted celebrities. Rupert Grint is his favorite actor of the newfound generation of squibs. He's played many wizards in movies, and his characters always have a tinge of realism that James finds great joy in. Daniel Radcliff is his second favorite, because he reminds James of his father and because his friends enjoy his films so much.

Films and television shows are great and entertaining and all, but they never seem to mesmerize James like music never ceases too. He'll never get sick of listening to Panic! At The Disco or Fort Minor, or even Taylor Swift some days. Radios have been around for almost a century, if not more, and James is just now seeing his first one. He can only see old radios in photos. Ones that are large and made of wood and rusting metal with large knobs and intricate wires. They are far larger than his small Walkman, which is already old for it's time. His grandfather, Arthur Weasley, got it for him for his birthday. His grandfather has had it for decades, and these days radios are small and hidden in the dashboards of cars or somehow fitting in the slim screens of laptops in cafés. James isn't ready for that yet, he's happy with his large Walkman, clipped to his belt and stopping him from pulling his shirt below his waist and gaining looks from passersby.

There's new music, that he doesn't yet know is actually old music with a new style, and there's old music that no one wants to admit is old, and there's music that no one quite knows when it came out or if it's old or new but they like it anyway because not everything needs a label to be accepted.

James's never been asked his favorite musician so he's never had to decide. But one day, walking along the street with headphones on his head towards nowhere in particular he thinks to himself that his favorite musician is Alice. Alice, being a muggleborn who never went to a magic school. She grew up in the public school system, honing her magic in quiet shadows with quiet private teachers. He feels bad for her, remembering fondly his time at Hogwarts, making friends and having fun while sharpening his magic. She feels bad for him, remembering how she can do arithmetic and knows general world history while he knows only the small amount that happens in the wizarding world. James does not know of the holocaust, but knows of Hitler because his second-in-command was a wizard who wrote many good letters. He knows not what a Jewish person is, only that most are muggles and those who are wizards are like Alice and never do learn in a magic school. He knows not of D-Day or the fall of the twin towers. Even wizards miss some things. James is just happy to know of Alice, who can fill in all the thinks he doesn't know along the way. He calls her a hedge witch sometimes and she doesn't mind.

He even finds that the place she has asked him to meet her at today is called The Hedge. It's a quiet place that sells pastries and coffee that isn't very good. It mainly stays afloat from donations from local squibs and wizards. He can only find it after an hour of walking, half an hour late to meet with Alice. She doesn't seem to mind, smiling happily when he walks in the door. She has a grin that suggests she was able to see him stumbling around as he cast every door finding spell he could think of to find the entrance. He ended up magnetizing himself towards doors, and crashed into a graffiti filled wall which sent him straight into the shop with a crazed look and a red face.