Sirius Black x Marina

Requested by: lgunicorn

(This is kinda short, but I hope you guys like it anyway.)

Having a twin sucks for Marina. She loves Remus Lupin to death, and she is sure he does too, but sometimes his existence in a nuisance. Less his existence and more his poor choice of friends. James is persistent but loyal to anyone he loves, whether they return his love or not. Peter is sweet and kind if sometimes a doormat. She cannot judge him though, she is guilty of the same. They are both people pleasures and are easily intimidated, something she hopes won't end out badly for either of them.

Then there's Sirius. Who's almost never serious, despite his name. Who's loyal as a dog, a shaggy black one to be exact. Who's an arrogant git almost always, as far as Marina can tell. His loyalties often lie with humiliating her and tending to his own ego. She doesn't hate him though, she can't hate him. It's far too cliche for her to hate her own crush, and rather confusing. She's struggling enough with charms, she doesn't need a complex romance on the side. If she had her way, she'd march right up to Sirius and tell him exactly what she thinks of him in such a calm voice that it confuses him. Gosh, does she want to confuse him. She wants to spin him in circles, dizzy him until he can't stand upright anymore, turn his cheeks a shade of red he's never seen before and listen to his friends laugh at his utter dubiety.

She doesn't though. She can't even mildly confuse him, or at least catch him off guard. There are so many things standing in the way. She's not quite tall enough to reach him. She can't quite speak without stuttering. She's almost always too nervous to even speak in the first place. Her heart isn't quite ready to burst, but it's getting there as it pounds against her ears so she can't listen even if she wants to. She's not quite on fire as an intense heat rises to her chest and face. There are some days she can push past all those obstacles. Days she can climb an mountain, face any adversary, or even swallow a flaming sword if she must. But even on those days, there is one last problem she hasn't quite figured out how to overcome. Her sadly determined, horribly intelligent brother, Remus Lupin. Those are the days having a twin sucks.

There's a particularly good day during the winter when Remus is too tired to care what Marina does, the sun is bright on the snow in the courtyard, and she is still feeling the buzz of Christmas spirit. Only a week until the holiday and her anxiety is wearing her patience thin. She's left with only her twin and his friends for company, no one else she knows has stayed home for the holidays. James has gone home to his parents, and for the only time since Sirius moved in with him, Sirius declines James's offer to stay at his house. Sirius stays at Hogwarts, sending James off with a note and wrapped gift for Mrs. Potter.

On the same day, when everyone is growing tired of eating candy for every meal and roaming the halls for the rest of the time, Marina sits down for a quiet dinner with Remus, Sirius, and Peter. There are a few other Gryffindors who Marina can only identify by their faces in past brief meetings in the hallways and classrooms. She gathers food onto her plate slowly, feeling overjoyed to finally be able to get her food without fighting with others or hoarding what little she can get. She sits down next to Remus, across from Peter, casting polite glances and smiles at each and ignoring Sirius all together, but not on purpose. That's when he insults her. She later cannot recall what he said, but can still feel the initial rage. Remus looks angry too so Marina fells completely justified when all obstacles are gone and the first thing that's on her mind can fly out her mouth seamlessly. "Fight me, Black." She flips his plate of food onto his lap with a flick of her wrist and an angry muttering of a quick spell.

Marina doesn't know why she's said it. It's something she's heard from muggles, in movies and on the street. She doesn't actually want to fight him, but nor did the muggles she heard the phrase from. She silently hopes that Sirius does not take her seriously, but keeps a straight face just in case.

For once in his life, Sirius Black took something she said seriously. It's her turn to be confused, even though she's never had the opportunity to do the same to him, and she's not okay with it. He takes his wand out of his wand pocket and she instantly does the same, pulling it out from her hair and letting the bun it had been twisted into fall. The teachers stay at their table, some stand from their seats but Dumbledore gives them a small wave to sit down and then he leans forward in his large chair and watches with an almost childish grin.

It's halfway through the duel when Marina throws a large bowl of soup at Sirius. It's drenches him and she yells out, "You smell like wet dog." She has to yell to be heard across the long table.

"Well," He stutters for the only time she has ever heard, but it's probably just the soup he's breathing in by accident. "You smell like- like Amortentia or whatever."

Her breathing stops for a moment, and the entire room stops for a second. No one breaths, no one says anything, only Sirius's labored pants are heard as he tries to wipe the soup off. He does not seem to realize what he has said. Remus is looking more confused and angry than ever. Marina isn't. She won't be confused, it's not her turn. She ignores it, pushes it to back of her mind until she's in the right place to understand just quite what he's saying. With a final slurry of charms she has won.

Marina jumps from the table, a loud pound echoing across the hall as her boots hit the ground, still clean. She walks away, exiting the hall and leaving Sirius confused. She has done it, but is not quite yet sure of the costs. Before she's out the door, another spell from her wand eradicates the soup clean off him, as though it was never there. "You smell bad enough already, extra isn't needed." She confuses him again. Another spin of his head. Spins that she is sure to feel when she gets back to the common room and realizes just what she has done and she curses to the empty rooms in the tall tower and wishes for once that Remus had stopped her. Today is another day having a twin sucks, but not one where having Sirius does.