Ninety Eight

Manik

When I came here for the first time, I had mixed feelings. Leaving my home, my country, my friends.. I have been on international tours, I have been out of India many times, but never for such a long duration. I always visited a foreign country with a round trip ticket. Also, wedding plans were far away from my mind, but they say things always don't happen the way we plan. Life is full of surprises. And I don't think I am exception to it.

The first semester here went so smooth, I hadn't had any issues with the place, people or my college. And then Nandini. In just a few months, my life changed completely. I believe that if you are ready to embrace changes, life seems perfect. And so is the case with me.

"Nandini, ithna chocolate ek baar nai khaathe hain, why don't you listen to me?" I said. It was her third cup of chocolate ice-cream. She looks so tiny, but her eating capabilities are out of our imagination.

"Last one, you brought a small tub this time, it's all done already" she said.

"Don't forget, I didn't even have one spoon of ice-cream from it. You finished it full and no more ice-cream for one month, and now don't try to argue with me" I said.

"Okay fine" she replied.

"What time will you go to office tomorrow?" I asked her.

"At 9:30" she said.

"Okay, I need to get some stuff, I will drop you and go. How long will it take?" I asked.

"The appointment with my boss is at 9:30 for 20-30 minutes I guess and then I will have work for maximum two hours, should be done by noon" she replied.

"Okay, give me a call once you are done and I will be there" I said and she agreed.

"Manik, are you interested in going to a temple?" she asked me.

"Yes, but why are you asking?" I asked her.

"There's an Indian couple I know and they are hosting some Pooja in the local Indian temple. They invited me to come, actually they helped me in the beginning when I shifted to Madison, that uncle is a professor in our university" she said.

"Sure, when is it?" I asked.

"Tomorrow in the evening at 6 o' clock, and you know what, there is going to be so much Indian food" she said with excitement.

"How is everything associated to food for you?" I asked her.

"Now don't get back to that again, and do you have any Indian wear?" she asked.

"I guess I do, still have to check" I replied. I wasn't sure if I had one.

"Aa jao, dinner is ready" she said bringing out the food.

"What did you cook?" I asked.

"Nothing much, chapatis, raitha and salad. I didn't feel like cooking" she said.

"You're fine right? Weakness hain kya abhi bhi?" I asked her.

"Nai baba, I am fine" she replied with a smile. Thank God!

"Chalo let me feed you aa jao" I said and she came with a plate, same plate for both of us. Ding. A smile on my face.

I fed her and ate by myself. She was continuously blabbering in between, like a kid. We look more like mother and daughter, literally. I am more like a mother to her than a father. Probably because I am very much attached to my mother's affection, I have taken many motherly qualities from her. Good for me, I can take care of my little baby.