IMAGINE: Phillip telling you about his crimes

You stand at the beach, feeling the waves crash upon your legs. You smile and sigh.

     "So what do you really think about this, Y/N? Ten strangers get invited on an island by a mysterious host while we're each accused of terrible crimes?" Phillip asks, suddenly standing beside you.

     You look at him as the wind blows your hair back. "I don't know what to make of it, Phillip. But their accusation of my crime was correct." You reply, before looking back out at the ocean.

     "You really did kill your husband?" He asks, trying to mask his surprise.

     You nod slowly. "I did." You answer.

     "But why?" He questions.

     "Because he was abusive and a drunkard. He came at me with a knife one day and I managed to turn the knife back on him. Stabbed him right through the heart." You murmur without flinching.

     "A-are you remorseful that it happened?" Phillip inquires softly.

      You narrow your eyes, thoughtful. After a while, you answer, "No... I suppose not." You shake your head. "I knew that if he wasn't gone from my life, he'd most likely kill me." You explain. There's silence.

     "Are you remorseful?" You ask after a few minutes of quietness. You look at Philip and he stares at you.

     He gives his head the barest of shakes and licks his lips. "No." He answer simply.

     "How is that even possible?" You question more to yourself than Phillip.

     "You killed 21 men, Phillip. You don't feel bad at all?" You ask, flinching.

     He sighs and shrugs. "I don't know. I just did what I had to do to survive." He replies. You look back to the ocean in horror.

     A minute passes before Phillip speaks again. "Some nights though, I hear the screams of the men I murdered." He whispers, his voice hitching slightly.

     You stare at him and his eyes are red rimmed as he glares at the ocean. "It haunts me. It's-it's tormenting." He says, his voice breathless. He shakes his head, grimacing. "Those nights make me hate myself, but I still can't feel bad for what I've done, Y/N." He continues, glancing at you. "I would have been dead if I didn't kill them. So that's why I can't feel remorse. I just can't." He chokes out.

     You nod slowly. "I think I understand, Phillip." You say. Phillip and you stare at each other for a long moment and he breaks a small smile.

     "Thank you." He states.

     "For what?" You question.

     "For talking with me. I haven't told anyone this." He answers.

     You return his smile. "You're welcome, Phillip." You reply.
[THE END] I hope you liked it!