part nineteen

Friends and foes fell around Atticus as she continued to battle for her life. She watched her once majestic home collapse around her. Suddenly, the same chilling voice echoes throughout the air.

"You have fought valiantly. . . but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured."

"Harry Potter, I speak now directly to you. On this night you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonor. Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. Should you do so I give my word that no other life will be lost on this night. You have one hour. If, at the end of that time, you have not given yourself up, then I shall punish every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me." Chills ran down Atticus's spine as the dark wizards fell back with sinister gleams in their eyes.

Atticus helped gathered the bodies of their peers who has lost their lives while bravely fighting. Sobs escaped her as she came across Lavender Brown's broken and mangled body. It was heart wrenching and traumatizing to see those she had spent many year's with dead. Shock ran through her system when she entered the Great Hall. She wasn't prepared to see this much heartbreak. She gasped softly when she spotted the body of Padma Patil, her sister Parvati Patil was sobbing over her body. Atticus allowed tears to fall when she noticed the sea of red hair gatherd around each other, their shoulders shaking in sorrow.

 She could hear the strangled cries of Mrs. Weasley. When Atticus reached them, she let out a silent sob. Their was Fred Weasley, a ghost of a smile on his face. "Oh, oh dear God, no." She whispered with no strength left to cry. A hand grasped hers tightly and she turned to face Harry. She buried her head in his chest as he wrapped his arms tightly around her shoulders. He allowed the girl to sob dryly into his chest as he tried to soothe her. Giving the Weasley's a fleeting glance, he pulled her away from them and to the entrance of the Great Hall.

"You're going aren't you?" Atticus asked softly gathering her throughts. Harry nodded solemnly. The door opened and Ron alongside Hermione stumbled out. Ron's freckled covered face was tired and tear-stricken. Hermione's eyes had tears glistening in her eyes.

"Where've you been?" Hermione questioned.

"We thought you'd gone to the forest, we thought you might be-" Harry had cut off Ron. "I'm going there now."

"Are you mad! No!" Ron shouted with shocked eyes. Atticus tightened her grip of Harry's hand.

"It's meant to be." He said softly. Ron grew angry, "Rubbish! You can't just give yourself up to him!" Hermione had calmed Ron down slightly by placing her hand on his arm

"What is it, Harry? What is it you know?" Harry smiled sadly at Hermione, still holding on to Atticus's hand.

"There's a reason I can. . . hear them: the Horcruxes." Hermione began to tremble at his words. She knew what was coming, but she refused to believe it. She was in denial.

"I think I've known for awhile." Harry said sadly, studying his best friends trembling figure, "I think you've known too."

"I'll go with you. I'll-" She stopped herself knowing that there really wasn't much she could do. Atticus let tears of her own fall once more, trying to convince herself that there would be a good outcome to this war that had taken she all ever cared for. "

Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him. Then it will be over." Harry told them sadly, giving a tearful smile. Ron nodded and pulled Hermione with him, giving Atticus and Harry a moment alone.