Chapter 37

I typed in the password to unlock Adrian's phone and opened the IDE on the main computer. Dylan was still screaming outside, but hopefully things will settle down soon.

Adrian was a crazy genius, but a genius all the same.

He wanted Castellino to have the password so that he could access the safe. Without the password, he wouldn't even have tried. He wasn't suicidal, Adrian wanted him to go, he wanted him to reach the safe and lead him there.

Only he was never going to get in.

Roy had mentioned the biometrics and that complicated the situation. The safe could only be opened by Dylan's adoptive father and that was what was going to happen.

"Lets see, where are you," I murmured to myself as I browsed through the phone for the bug Isaac had installed.

I installed the bug onto the computer, giving Isaac full access to the security system.

I quickly typed in another message.

C: iSaac? U there?

I held my breath.

I: yep, I'm in.

Great.

I typed in the code to break past the firewall, it wasn't exactly tough with Isaac on my side. Within minutes the screen lit up with a hundred different tiny windows. The camera feeds.

I waited for what seemed like hours and nothing happened, there was no activity outside, Dylan had run off somewhere. Either way, I had locked the door shut. I wouldn't go out till Adrian told me to, surprisingly, this time I felt obligated to listen.

What would happen of Adrian and I after this was behind us? Did he love me? Did I love him?

Yes, I think I did. I wouldn't be risking my life on multiple occasions for someone else. I wanted him to win, I wanted him to be happy. Even if I had to walk away after this, I could do it if he was happy. I think.

I imagined him with the girl from the picture I had seen in the plane. God, was I jealous. But the smile on his face...

Yes, I could leave him if that made him happy. That had to be love, didn't it?

I didn't fully understand the extent of our relationship, did he feel the same way. Ugh! I was acting so stereotypically lovestruck, it was nauseating.

I decided to focus on the cameras, they were easier to figure out than my love life.

Zooming in on a darker area of the screen, I noticed that it was indeed, an underground tunnel. Several similar screens dotted the corner, the labyrinth must have been huge. The bricks looked old and worn and ivy creeped up the walls, somehow growing even in the absence of sunlight. Genetically altered.

I fired off a quick text to Adrian.

C: Don't touch the ivy, think it's poisonous.

A: Got it.

I watched as a team of seven men appeared on one of the screens. One of them was wrapped in heavy white bandages.

Well, hello there. Bitch.

"Castellino's in," I murmured. Somehow talking to myself calmed me. We were so close.

Another screen lit up with the image of a man in a pinstriped blue suit. Dylan. He was walking behind another man who I assumed to be his father. Was the tunnel bugged? It had to be, they'd done so much about security, they couldn't have forgotten to bug the tunnel.