fifty five

I pull my jacket tighter around me as I walk down the street, the wind whipping at my hair. My cheeks are rosy red from the cool air and my shoes click on the pavement.

I am going to meet Aaron.

I feel horribly for lying to Harry, but I don't need to tell him everywhere I go. As far as I know, Harry's in his apartment watching TV, and as far as Harry knows, I'm going grocery shopping.

If it weren't for my sudden protectiveness over Harry, I wouldn't be doing this. But something about seeing him so injured on Friday broke my heart, and I don't want him getting hurt anymore by Aaron.

Harry's wounds have mostly healed, his lip almost back to normal and the cut on his cheek is scabbed over. His black eye has turned yellow, and it will soon be gone.

I recall the directions Aaron texted me twice and told me over the phone yesterday.

The alley ten blocks down and around the corner of your apartment.

I round the corner, fear sparking inside of me. I literally have no idea what to expect from his meeting, but I brought pepper spray just in case.

As I enter the narrow alley, I see Aaron leaning against the brick wall of one of the buildings. He smirks when I approach.

"How nice of you to show, Rosie," he says tauntingly. "I trust you came alone?"

I nod.

"Fortunately for you, so did I." Aaron steps up straight.

"What do you want?" I snap.

"Let's just chat for a minute, shall we?"

I exhale slowly.

"How have you been?" He asks.

"Fine."

"Works good?"

"Yes."

"And how about Harry?"

"Harry is fine."

"Good, good. And your feelings for him?"

I furrow my brow, swallowing. "Nonexistent."

"Nonexistent?"

"I have no feelings for him."

"I have a hard time believing that."

"We're friends, that's it." Am I convincing Aaron, or myself?

"I see." Aaron laughs venomously.

"Why did you make me come here?" I ask, quick to change the subject away from Harry.

"My uncle has requested I ask a favor of you," Aaron says.

"A favor?"

"Yes. A favor."

My heart rate quickens. "What kind of favor?"

"You're a smart girl, Rose. You're quite observant, and that's a valuable skill. A desirable skill." Aaron steps forward and I step back. "We'd like for you to come work for Wolfe Enterprises."

I am taken completely by surprise at this. "Work for you?"

"Yes. You wouldn't work with the finances, but you'd be an extra pair of eyes and ears that could be quite beneficial to the company."