Three

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Groggy and half awake, Ava stumbles to across her room to find the annoying beeping sound. "Where is it!" 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"God. Where is that damn clock?" Clothes were dispersed all throughout her cramped bedroom as she searched frantically for the clock.

"Finally." 

It was six in the morning and the bright chirping of brids could be heard. Being up at this ungodly hour was not Ava's ideal saturday morning. However money was needed and work had to be done. If she wasn't drowning in bills she would have taken the day off. But that was not an option.  In fact, days of never was an option.Ava worked seven days a week. She would always dream of a day off. A day where she could sleep in, have brunch, take in a matinee, and end the day with a long bath whilst listening to the sweet sounds of Sinatra. Nevertheless, it didn't look like a day of self care was in her future. This had been something she accepted. She was in a season of work and she was okay with that. She had to be. 

There was something soothing about being up at six am. The city was quiet. It was at rest. Only a few cars were out on the road as well as the random six-am-runner. That was one thing that Ava could never understand. People who would go out for early runs. It wasn't that she did not enjoy running, but there was something that irked her about getting up before the sun to go for a long winded run. She would much rather go for an evening at the gym. At least when she had time. That was another thing Ava didn't seem to have time for anymore. Exercise. Ever since the passing of her mother, Ava hasn't been able to enjoy the little things. Baths, matinee's, a good book, and the gym. This is just a season was what she kept telling herself.

Regardless of others her age, Ava was not in school. This didn't disqualify her, however, from dreaming about one day gracing the halls of her local university. Her heart was set to become an editor. Not a book editor but a newspaper editor. There was something thrilling about putting out a newspaper every week. Being able to provide the daily news to eager readers. When Ava was still in high school, she was the editor of her high school newspaper. It was well known and everyone in her district was impressed with her writing and editing skills. But, since her mother was unable to work and then passing away, school was not high on her priority list. That didn't mean she didn't want to go to school eventually. Right now though, it was something she had to wait for. 

Many of her friends were already done school and working for amazing companies. When you are twenty-three years old, it was unheard of to not have your bachelor degree. But for Ava, it was something she was unashamed about. It wasn't her time yet. Soon. But not right now. And again, she was okay with that. 

There were a lot of things in her life that she learnt to just accept. No days off, having to work full time work at a small bakery so she could pay her bills, no post secondary, and being an orphan. These weren't the things many people her age had to worry about. Unfortunately Ava didn't have the luxury to "enjoy life" and "live up her 20's". She had to grow up fast, and again- that was something she had to learn to accept.

She had only one close friend; it was okay.

She had to pay bills; it was okay. 

She was not in love; it was okay.

She was alone... and it was okay. 

When Ava walked inside of the small bakery that she called work for the past five years, she noticed that it was busier than usual. It was 7 AM and the bakery was already packed. Pushing passed the customers Ava made her way to the back. 

"Excuse me."

"Sorry."

"Excuse me." 

"I just need to get through-"