Chapter 41

Heroes are more than just stories, they're people. And people are complicated; people are strange. Nobody is a hero through and through, there's always something in them that'll turn sour... you'll learn it one day. There are no heroes, only villains who win.~ Joel Cornah

Dedication: To uselessopinions, for the nice comments and votes, thank you so much!

Siena

Returning to the scene of the crime was never a good idea. It's basically saying, "Hey, I'm the killer, arrest me!" Kinda like waving a giant red flag not just at any bull, but at the Minotaur. However, I couldn't resist. I thought there maybe something there for me to find out, to figure why Shreya was here, and what was going on.

The area was cordoned off with yellow police tape, but there was no one collecting samples, or even guarding it. I carefully landed in the alleyway, making sure not to step on any evidence. I crouched down close to the ground, studying the alleyway.

The cops seemed to have done a thorough sweep, any garbage cans had been emptied and taken out, and the alley looked cleaner than it had in years.

I carefully stood up and walked around the area where I found the body, my boots crunching against the gravel of the alley. I winced at every sound they took, but it was later at night, and I could use my powers to cover me if need be.

Something caught my eye by the garbage cans. Something was stuck to the bottom of the can, on the edge. It was pressed between the ground and the force of the can.It looked as if It was a tag, the kind you would find on products in a store.

I lifted the can up and pulled out the tag, which was attached to something. A needle. A small, needle.

It looked to be no more than a 14-gauge, and it didn't have anything in it. How could the cops have missed this? Oh well, it was better for me. I put on my gloves and picked up the needle. Studying it carefully, I couldn't ascertain what would be there, or even if there was something there.

My eyes widened. The M.E. was wrong. Shreya wasn't poisoned. She was injected with air. I'd heard of it. Air bubbles bursting in the heart was bad enough to cause a fatal injury, and it was among one of the least known methods to kill a person, since people tested for poison, not air. It was an excellent method, for older people. For a young 24 year old, people would definitely question the presence of air in the bloodstream, but that's only if they did a complete and full autopsy. And I don't think they have the time or the resources to do that.

I looked at the needle very carefully. You couldn't just get a 14-gauge like this from the store. But first, I needed to find out more information about Shreya to figure why she was killed, if I killed her, and if not, who did.

I wasn't any Calli, but I did know how to hack into the police system and search for missing people. I didn't want to involve any more people if I could avoid it.

Back in my car, I got in the database for missing people, and found Shreya. It looked like she had an apartment not very far from mine, and that the police hadn't hit it yet, since they still hadn't identified her.

Great. I tossed my laptop in the back of my car, rolled down the windows, and drove to Shreya's place. It was a regular apartment building, nothing special or different about it. Except, she had her balcony screen open. What person had their screen door exposed to the cold at a time like this?

It wasn't a building where you had to be buzzed in, good for me, bad for other people, but I found Shreya's apartment. I didn't bothered knocking on the door, but picked the lock and entered.

What I discovered was certainly not what I was expecting. I found the apartment tossed, everything in a mess. Obviously, the people who wanted Shreya dead did this. Or did I, and I just didn't remember it?