Chapter 3 ll Gagaga. Get off my mind!

Zoey's POV

"Ride with me." Chris blurted out. 

I stare at him, waiting for him to show signs of 'Lol, I'm just joking, who are you to ride my bike's' expressions or actions, but no. He just stare back at me while he scratch the back of his neck nervously. Do I make him feel nervous? Aw, that's cute. You see, I'm usually the one who's nervous around people, not the other way round, that's a first. Whenever I move to a new state with my mother, I tend to keep to myself and put in my utmost effort to blend in with the crowd. I detest being in the spotlight with everyone in the school acknowledging you wherever you go. Trust me, I know how tiring it feels for someone who dislikes attention. But it'll be a totally different story if you are one of those who love attention or recognition.

I used to be one of those 'popular chics' while I was in the last year of middle school. Me and one of my good friend,  Skylar, went to a party. Let's just say, something very eventful happened while we were at the party. Both of us, who detest attention with true passion, were shoved into limelight. It was absolutely exhaustive to have people recognizing you every single second, once you walk out of your house.

" Umm. Are you joking or something?"

"Does it look like I'm joking?" he smirk, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, my mom taught me not to judge a book by its cover, so yea."

He sigh, apparently, annoyed and irritated by my words. "Just get on the bike? Please?"

Now it is my turn to let out a small sigh. "No. I don't want to."

"Why?" 

"I have this... phobia thingy. Of bikes." I admit with shame, my cheeks flush red as I looked down on the floor in utter embarrassment. 

"Trust me, nothing will happen to you, alright? I'll keep you you safe." Chris positions the back of his thumb at my chin, lifting my face up, my eyes met with beautiful blue ones. His gaze had softened. My eyelids flutter close as I let out a deep sigh. 

"Fine." I nodded reluctantly.

---

If you ask me to get on a bike with the town's famous delinquent a few weeks ago, I would have plopped down on the couch and start laughing right in your face. Never would I have ever imagined, me, Zoey Summers, would be willing to get on a bike with the town's bad boy. Specifically, getting on Chris Martinez's bike with Chris Martinez. To say I was actually enjoying the ride, was a major understatement of the history of the worst understatements. I loved the ride so much, I would marry it. Literally. 

Chris took a swift turn around the corner and continue speeding down the street. 

"Turn right after that junction over there." I gave him the directions. I felt his chest trembled as he let out a low chuckle. What was that for? 

"The third house down the street." I pointed to my house. He nodded and we came to a halt at my driveway. I jumped off the bike happily. My lips broke into a huge smile as Chris took off his helmet. "Thank you so much for the ride! I loved it!" I exclaimed like a three year old on sugar rush. Chris' lips stretched into a breathtaking grin. He ruffled my hair a little before we bid each other goodbyes and I walked up my porch. I was pushing my front door open, when I heard a voice.

"Zoey!" I spun around, and to my eureka, there stood Chris, on the porch of the house just right across mine. My eyes widened and I couldn't help but feel little wave of happiness and hope in me.

Does Chris live in the house that's right opposite mine?

"Nice meeting you, neighbour!" he waved and went into the house. Leaving me standing at the porch, surprised.