fifty six

Harry looks down as soon as he says it, as if he didn't mean to say it aloud.

I stare at him as a pink blush creeps onto my cheeks.

I'd wish for you, Rose.

I'd wish for you.

Wish for me? What does that mean? It could mean so many things, but with Harry, I could never know.

"What do you mean, you'd wish for me?" I breathe.

Harry blinks, bringing his gaze back to mine. "I don't exactly know," he says. "I think I..." He stops himself when his phone vibrates in his pocket.

What? He thinks he...what?

"Hello?" He says into the phone.

He immediately stiffens. "What do you mean?"

I part my lips.

"Louis, slow down. Tell me what the fuck you're talking about."

Harry's eyes flick to me.

"Fine. We'll be there."

He locks his phone and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Damn it," he curses, beginning to pace in front of me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Alec...Alec's angry that Aaron didn't recruit you, so he's sending people to look for you. It's not safe to go back to the apartment right now."

My heart rate quickens. "So...what do we do?"

"We're meeting at Zayn's place in an hour, we'll figure it out then."

Harry's jaw is clenched tight as I follow him back to the car, getting in on the passenger side.

I'm dying to know what Harry was going to say, but his earlier comments are long forgotten as he speeds back into the city. The peaceful time when we stared at the stars is now gone.

"Fuck, fuck, fucking..." Harry curses under his breath as we drive along.

"Why do they want me?" I ask.

"Because you're smart. Everyone can see that."

"What use would I be? I don't understand." I shake my head.

"Rose, you're a copy editor, yes?"

I nod slowly.

"Your job then requires close examination of a piece of literature for mistakes of any form, correct?"

"Yes."

"That skill is...highly useful for someone like Alec. You're observant, like Aaron said. You could potentially be Alec's most valuable tool."

"Is he going to try to force me into working with him?"

"Yes," Harry says. "He's going to do everything he can to persuade you, but remember what I've told you, Rose. Once you're in, you can never get out. And I won't let you be subjected to his schemes."

"I won't be," I tell him and he nods.

"Good."

Harry soon pulls up to a brick building similar to ours, but I recognize the neighborhood as Forest Heights.

"Stay close, alright?" Harry looks over at me.

I nod faintly.

"Are you afraid?" He asks me.