Chapter 12: Misty Rain

It was cold. It was the coldest morning I've ever had. It was even colder than the day I stayed in the North when I was young. I tried to open my eyes and saw the light passing to the room through the cracks from the small window beside my bed and the door. I knew I wasn't home when the usual silent and warm morning was replaced by the sound of waves, pirates' shout and rain. I stood up all of a sudden and rewarded with the sudden pain in my head. Is it raining? I reached to my window and peaked outside. Droplets of cold water splashed on my face so I closed it again. I wished I was just dreaming. But I wasn't. The coldness of the water on my face was the evidence of this living nightmare.

I tried to walk but the movement of the ship due to the wave was increasing the pain in my head. Erasmus's camise and trousers weren't enough to protect me from the coldness, thus it made moving uneasy. But I had no idea of the time and I couldn't just stay inside this room, right? Threy made it clear last night that I wouldn't be able to go home anytime soon. I had to spend more time than I wanted in the pirate ship.

Sighing, I walked towards the door and opened it. I was welcomed by the louder noise and colder temperature. I walked on the hallway towards the main deck and saw some pirates cleaning the floor, checking the sail and fixing the barrels. The elderly man they called Captain Drakon was on the helm steering the ship to a certain direction. Seeing how busy and serious they were, I knew I couldn't go out there. I decided to go back to my room when a furry creature suddenly brushed on my cold naked feet. I looked down and saw the grey cat staring back at me.

I stooped down to touch it but it walked away from my hand. Just like the other night, it gave me a look urging me to follow him. And I knew better than to follow this evil of a cat. The last time I went after him, I broke my heart.

"Primrose," I turned towards the familiar voice and saw Erasmus standing in the hallway with his clothes wet by the rain. "So you've met Roger." He added, smile plastered on his face.

"Is it the cat we're talking about?" I asked, wondering how they named it 'Roger'. It wasn't one of those normal names you give for animals.

"It was Alon's pet. Do you remember the big guy who got you from your tiny little boat?" he stopped just at my side as we both eyed the leaving cat.

"The one who threatened to kill me with his flashy long knife?" I said.

"Alon isn't that bad. Come on, he's probably in the kitchen and you must be hungry." Erasmus chuckled as he grabbed my hand and lead me to where the direction Roger went.

I actually doubted and a little bit terrified about meeting other pirates; pirates who sworn to cause harm on me. But Erasmus pointed that I had the Skull's protection and no one in the ship would dare to touch me and yet, somehow, I still felt unsafe.

We reached metal stairs going down the ship and I followed Erasmus cautiously towards the forecastle. I watched my step carefully as I realized that some pirates were actually sleeping in here. After few moments of fear and doubts, I finally smelled coffee and roasted part of bread and grilled fish. Now I was left thinking if I would have the same meal for breakfast today? We found the kitchen with three big tables and chairs under them. I looked around the spacious area and saw Alon grilling a large fish in the corner. Erasmus ordered me to sit on one of the chairs as he got me food for breakfast.