Chapter 34

Kat
February 25, 2005

*

Same day

*

This is all my fault.

I thought telling Vanessa would help. Why couldn't I just keep my stupid mouth shut?

No, you know what, this is Nate's fault. I thought they stayed up sharing their secrets, so what the heck did he tell her?

Well, I guess if she's is going to be miserable and lonely, I can be too, right?

We don't need to pretend anymore.

It was pretty clear earlier that Ben is only interested in a physical relationship and I just can't do that anymore.

It's too easy to want more with him.

Where is he?

I really need to go comfort Vanessa. She's probably getting liver disease as we speak.

I can't just sit around waiting.

I think I can probably walk, I just wish I wore better shoes... and pants... and a jacket. What was I thinking in February? Oh, right. I wasn't thinking, I jumped in my car and rushed over here.

Just as my hand touches the knob, the door opens forcing out an involuntary queal out as I jump back.

"You okay, Beautiful?" He smirks at me. Jerk. He probably did it on purpose.

"Yep." I do my best to seem irritated, but I probably just look constipated or crazy. That's what Vanessa always tells me, anyway.

"Going somewhere?" His smile widens, knowing he caught me trying to sneak out.

"Uh, yeah, to my heartbroken friend. You know the one your friend just treated like garbage." Seriously, what is wrong with Nate?

"Yeah, sorry about that." His grin fades, as he looks slightly ashamed.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes. His friend just lost the best thing that's ever happened to him.

"And listen, forget what Nate said, he's an idiot." I honestly hadn't even thought about that part, I was more concerned about them breaking up.

"Tell me something I don't know." I scoff.

None of this matters. I need to go make sure she's alright. "So... can we get going?"

"Uh... yeah, sure. Let me just grab my jacket." I grab my phone from the his dresser, kicking myself again for not getting dressed properly.

Ben walks out of his closet wearing his sexy leather jacket and suddenly I have the urge to continue what we started earlier.

Vanessa will be fine, right?

Yeah, she's fine. What's a few more minutes?

Crap. No.

I need to end this messed up relationship and go help my friend.

Priorities suck.

They suck hard.

Really, really hard... Suddenly my mouth is dry and my heart is racing. I lick my lips, hoping my desire isn't obvious.

What was I saying again?

"Darlin'? You get lost in that pretty little head of yours?" He taps his finger on my temple.

I roll my eyes, causing his dimples to emerge. Oh god. I need to get out of here before I jump him and lose all sense of rationality.