Chapter Five

As the days went by the pain became less, though the hole in her heart did not lessen. Mistress Eudora was kind to Rose and let her do her work mostly on her own so she would not be around people if she grew upset.

One evening she was assigned to serve dinner to the Royals with some other servants. Rose stood by the same wall as usual and tried to remain inconspicuous as the family walked in. When Prince Tristan walked in he only spared a brief glance at Rose before continuing to his seat. Rose had not seen him since the day in the village as she had been mostly hidden in the kitchen.

The four children were all seated around the table, waiting expectantly for their father. After a few minutes the doors swung open, but it was not the King who entered. Mistress Eudora walked in, her expression masked.

"The King is not well and will not be joining us for the meal," she murmured to Rose and the servants. At once they all left their positions and headed to the table to begin serving.

There was not much conversation around the table, rather an anxious silence settled over the group. Rose served quietly and kept her eyes downcast like many of the other servants. Even Prince Liam, usually the loudest of the group, was quiet and ate sullenly.

When the meal ended the four children walked out without a word. Rose began helping clear off the table. With a stack of tableware in her arms she turned and walked down to the kitchen so they could be cleaned. As she was heading back up the stairs to continue cleaning, Princess Suzanna emerged from the end of a hallway. She spotted Rose and walked up to her hastily and gracefully.

"Oh, you there, Rose, is it not?" She asked Rose kindly. Rose dropped into a quick curtsey.

"Yes, my lady."

"My maidservant was not feeling well and had to leave. Would you be able to help me ready myself for bed?"

"Of course, Princess," Rose responded immediately, somewhat surprised. It was an honour if one was asked to personally serve any member of Nobility. Princess Suzanna led Rose to her room and gestured for her to enter. Rose followed the Princess in and stood behind her as she sat by a small table with a looking glass against the wall.

Thankfully Mistress Eudora had already taught Rose what to do should she ever be asked to help one of the Princesses. Rose began pulling out the decorative pins in Princess Suzanna's hair which was pulled up into an elaborate design.

"How are you liking working in the castle?" The Princess asked Rose.

"I like it very much, ma'am," Rose said as she started pulling out the small pins holding her hair up. They made clinking noises as Rose placed them on the table.

"I imagine it is easier than being on the streets." She was not being rude, simply making a statement. Rose paused for a moment before continuing with releasing her hair.

"I was not aware anyone knew of my previous situation, my lady."

"Oh, you need not worry. I believe I am the only member of my family who knows, other than Tristan of course. We are very close, he tells me almost everything." Rose did not know how to respond but she need not have worried, as Princess Suzanna continued within seconds. "I understand, Rose, why it would be hard to bow down to others. Of course, I myself rarely have to curtsey, but it can feel somewhat demeaning. So you see I am not angry or disgusted with you, even though you disrespected my brother. I am certain Tristan has never been faced with such a situation. I think what you did was very brave," she said with a smile.

"That is very kind of you, my lady," Rose murmured, pulling out one of the final pins.

"You can drop all of the formalities," the Princess giggled. "My maidservant, Brigitte, and I always have long conversations. You can call me Suzanna." Rose tried to hold back her shock – a maidservant and their lady on first name bases, Rose could understand. But a regular servant calling the Princess by her first name was almost impossible to believe. Rose opened a drawer and located Suzanna's brush then walked back to her, flattered. "Now, let's talk."