⇝ Chapter Nine

"(Y/N), Loki, how are you guys handling that side?" Fury asks in the comm after nearly thirty minutes of fighting.

"Pretty well. We've taken out most of them and the numbers have slowed significantly," you reply as you send a bullet right in the skull of the Jotun.

"How's Loki?"

"You know he can hear you too, right?" you reply.

"Yes, but I want a report in your words," Fury insists.

You flick your eyes over and lock them with Loki's as he swings the scepter around and shatters one of the giants without so much as sparing it a glance.

"Decent," you say.

Loki rolls his eyes and continues taking out the enemy like nobody's business. You would've given him a glowing report if you weren't in the middle of a war, but you wanted to end the conversation with Fury.

"Well, that's good to hear. Steve and Natasha have their area nearly secured and Tony and Clint don't think many more will be arriving. Thor says if you don't finish this fight soon, the whole city could be covered in ice."

"Got it," you reply, ripping a knife from your holster and throwing it at one of the giants.

Fury cuts off the com and you realize you're getting low on ammunition. You reach down and bring out a stick before pressing the middle button for it to extend to about five feet in length while still holding one gun in your other hand.

You wield the stick around when the giants get too close for comfort and shoot the ones behind them when they crumble to the ground. You glance at Loki and see him somewhat struggling with some bigger creatures. One grabs Loki's wrist and you watch as his skin turns the pale blue color and a flash of red shows in his eyes before he kicks the Jotun away from him with a snarl.

You click your gun again and realize you've finally run out of bullets, therefore chucking the pistol carelessly. You use two hands to twirl the stick and easily knock out the enemy like any other day despite the pinch of fear at the sight of them in your chest. You know you'll never have that type of fear with Loki because with these beasts, all they know is fear and pain. You know Loki isn't like that.

You pivot your feet and see something out of the corner of your eye--Loki getting simultaneously grabbed by three Frost Giants who begin pulling him away. You rush over and put your stick straight through one while Loki turns and nails the other two with his scepter.

You watch Loki's blind spot and see one of the giants reaching for the back of his neck. Without thinking, you shove Loki out of the way, and when you go to swing at the Jotun's head with the stick, he wraps his enormous hand around your throat and applies a heavy amount of pressure.

You feel the intense burning of your skin as it melts under the creature's touch. You can't breathe and you can feel your brain shutting down as your vision blurs.

Loki finally gets the chance to turn around and see what's happening and a multitude of emotions flash in his mind: dread then worry then seething anger. Anger that such a pest was hurting and touching you with its disgusting skin on your smooth flesh.

Loki's anger affects the scepter as he uses his own magic to blast the giant into pieces. He runs and catches you when you fall toward the ground and creates a temporary illusion to distract the enemy until his livid wrath takes over and he drive the scepter onto the ground, causing a ripple affect in a mile radius. All the Frost Giants feel the power and fall to heaps on the iced pavement of the city.

Loki sets down the scepter and cradles your head in his lap with both hands as he examines the entire length of your neck covered in your burnt and bloody flesh.

It wasn't healing.

"Why?!" Loki shouts, realizing you took this hit for him.

Your brain is scrambling itself and you can't feel below your chin. Your eyes are fighting to stay open if just to see Loki once more in that stupid helmet.

"Because I'm immortal. It will heal quicker," you whisper hoarsly as if you hadn't had a drink of water in years.

"You said you do not know the extent of your mutation. I doubt anything could have prepared you for a Frost Giant!" Loki screams, feeling as though this is his fault for bringing them here. For putting you in danger.

You close your eyes and smile. You're not really sure what you're doing because your throat is caving in on itself and your breathing is nearly non-existent. You reach up and put a hand to Loki's pale skin on the side of his face and rub your thumb against it before peeking under your eyelashes. Loki's eyes are watery as he grasps your wrist in his hand.

"Fury, I-I need someone. (Y/N) is down and needs medical assistance right now," Loki says shakily, never breaking his gaze from you.

"Hold on tight. We'll be there in a minute," Fury replies.

The voices of the other Avengers drift away from your ears as they celebrate their victory until it seizes after hearing that a member of their team might not be coming home.