Chapter Seventeen

Trent

Adam surfaces during the car ride home. He doubles over and groans.

"I'm going to be sick again."

"We're so close to home."

"I can't hold it."

"Drive faster!"

The tyres hit the driveway and Adam vomits. The stench of his vomit wafts through the car which makes my stomach queasy.

"Please tell me you vomited on the leather seats," I whisper.

"I think so."

I bang my head against the window as Mum looks over her shoulder.

"You're both cleaning this before you go to bed." She glares.

She tosses me the keys and storms inside. I peer into the backseat and Adam is slouched across the backseat in the puddle of his vomit.

Can I hose him off before he enters my house, or is that too mean?

I grab his arm and pull him upright. As I drag him outside, I catch Marley walking up the driveway. I drop Adam and he tumbles to the floor.

She races up the driveway and crouches beside Adam.

"I can't believe you dropped him."

"You scared me," I grumble.

"Hm?" Adam mumbles.

"I can't believe he got this drunk."

"He puked in my mother's car. I'm so dead."

"Don't joke about that." She glares.

"I'm sorry."

I drag Adam to the grass and rest his body. Mum comes outside with cleaning supplies and I quickly work on removing the vomit. We'll need to clean it again tomorrow, but it's good enough for now.

Once the car is clean, I throw the paper towels in the bin. Adam groans as he rolls around on the grass. I toss him over my shoulder and carry him inside.

I take him to the bathroom and prop him against the shower wall. He curls to the side and pukes again which is so gross.

Marley looms by the bathroom door with a frown.

"Can we talk about what happened tonight?"

Adam groans while Marley fiddles with her fingers.

"I need to shower him before he passes out."

Marley disappears, so I get to work with removing his clothes. Adam floats in and out of consciousness. I wish I could do that because this is disgusting. However, he's not sleeping on my couch in his current state.

I turn the water on and Adam jumps from the cold water splashing across him.

"What's happening?"

"You're taking a shower." I laugh.

"Why don't I have clothes on?"

"Because you're in the shower."

"Oh."

"You owe me so much for this."

"You didn't have to do this."

"No, I really did."

Adam sighs as he slumps against the wall. I grab the lofer and pump lots of soap onto it. Once he smells like a coconut, I turn the water off and grab a towel. I help him out the shower and he sits on the floor across from me.

"You're wet." He pokes my shoulder.

"I basically showered with you." I chuckle.

"You'll catch a cold if you stay like that."

"Don't worry about me, Adam."

I grab another towel and start drying him. It's easier now that he doesn't smell.

"I need clothing?" He frowns, "Or don't I?"

"You can borrow something. I'll just add it to the tab of things you owe me"

Adam laughs as he knocks his head back into the cabinet.

I peel the wet clothes off and discard them on the floor. Adam's eyes trail over my body and for the first time, I'm shy.

"We don't need clothing." He shakes his head.

"I'll be back in a second." I awkwardly smile as I slip out of the room.

I grab some clothing and step into the bedroom. I'm tackled from behind and onto the bed. I shove Adam away but he presses his lips against mine.

Adam's hand slides down the front of my chest, sending a weird tingle through my body; this feels weird.

"Adam? Trent?" Marley gasos.

"Nope." I shake my head, "I can't."

Adam removes himself and grabs the clothing from my hands. He quickly staggers towards my bathroom and slams the door shut.

"What just happened?" asks Marley.

"I was about to ask you that."

"You should talk to him, at least get him on the couch so he can get some sleep," says Marley.

"None of that weirds you out?" I cock my head to the side and frown.

"Yes, but I'm upset Adam never said anything. I would have accepted him."

"Same, but I should talk to him about it."

"Yeah." She nods.

I slip on the pyjamas and slide into the bathroom. Adam is dressed and staring at himself in the mirror. He tugs on his hair and sits down.

"You don't need to be here," is the first thing Adam says.

"Let's talk about what happened." I scratch my head.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking."

"You're a great guy, I just prefer girls." I shrug my shoulders, "Nothing wrong with that."

"Have you ever tried?"

"Never had, you know, the feelings for it."

"I'm sorry," he says, "it won't happen again."

"We can still be friends, Adam."

"You're a great friend."

I help Adam to the couch and toss a blanket over his body. Marley sits beside Adam and strokes his forehead despite the fact he can't feel her touch.

I slide into bed and press my face into the pillow.

I could never be with Adam because I have feelings for Marley.

* * * * *