Chapter 18: Winter is Exposed

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 18: Winter is Exposed

At night, when the sunlight washes away

and the people never stay,

I lose the control

and no one is there to hold.

The people leave,

But I believe

I was alone before they even went away.

- Winter Ozlin's diary

The festive snacks were all set up by six forty, twenty minutes early. Tiny turkey wraps were aligned in perfect circles and led up to a pyramid, along with corn salad and pumpkin squash. Spiked ice tea was set out in place of punch, next to the obvious soda and water (a keg was hidden in a freshman's room near the commons), which were never drunk. To impress my guests, I hired a live band that played Indie Rock. They were set to play at seven thirty and entertain with soft background music, until nine when the party deepened and their music grew louder.

Everything was set up perfectly, from the sunflowers planted at every corner and door entry, to the scent of baking bread that would encourage the guests to eat. Penny and Nijia helped me pin the orange, red, yellow, and brown streamers along the ceiling, and I even got the stage crew to come and help set up lights that would complete the mood. That way, I could turn off the horrendous lighting that the school had.

"Do the chairs go near the food or the band?" Winston asked as he rubbed his glasses. He had also come with Penny to help me, which I was much appreciative of.

"Closer to the band, but far enough away so that they can talk," I instructed and pointed to a wall that would suffice. Every detail had to be thought through carefully, and I was glad to be the brains behind the decisions.

"Ay yay," he mumbled and began to push the chairs. Penny gave him a thumbs up as he lugged past her and Nijia while they kept arranging and rearranging the food setup. Winston simply past by with a frown and a quick wipe of the beam of sweat that ran across his forehead. I reminded myself to thank him later for his help.

When I looked at the clock, I noticed that I had fifteen minutes until the party. I had to pick up something before it started. "I'll be back in ten everyone!" I announced to the crew of people that had arrived to help. It was amazing how many people did really look up to me. Nobody fidgeted when I spoke; they all grumbled a few words and continued their work, which made me smile and nod before escorting myself out.

Reese was waiting for me at the front of Bashing Hall, which was the building holding the party, and multiple dorms. Due to security reasons, she was not able to meet me in the commons to give me the fresh corn muffins that the cook baked for me from the diner.

"Reese!" I squealed once I saw her shining green eyes through the glass window of the door. "Hey!"

She smiled and I could see the sparkle off her teeth before I even pushed opened the door. The cool air embraced my sleeveless arms, but thankfully my suede outfit kept my body cool. I wrapped my hands around my shoulders, but waved to Reese once I stepped outside.

It'd been a while since I saw her. Due to the party planning and my self pity about Jace, I didn't have time to visit her or my spot at the diner. After Thanksgiving, I promised myself that I would get to her soon. After all, she didn't know that Austin and I broke up, or that I realized I had feelings for Jace, only to have him push me away for being the Ice Queen.