17|CAPTAIN SPANGLES

Peggy Carter showed up at the door very early in the morning and Ally knew that wasn't a good sign. She was wide awake anyways, feeling a tremor of fear take over her body. Bucky hadn't written her a letter in ages and she was beginning to fret. She had already cried from pure terror the night before, but now she was so unsure of his conditions that she felt ill.

The sun was barely peeking through the window while William, Jojo, Ally and Peggy gathered around the table, sipping tea and coffee. "I'm delighted that you're pregnant Jo, really, but is now the time?" Peggy questioned, stirring her tea with a small spoon.

As they talked, Ally began writing a letter to Bucky, in hopes he'd receive it.

"I knew you were going to say that," Jojo commented, still in her robe. "I've already talked to headquarters about it and they have granted me leave."

"Wait a second," Ally grabbed their attention, putting down her pencil. "Who's going to protect me?"

"Alchemy you've been swinging that stupid sword around like it's a baseball bat," Jojo pointed out. "I think you can manage yourself." Ally tried to act surprised but failed when Jojo rolled her eyes. "I'm an agent, I'm watching from the crack in the doorways, observing sounds, I know everything. Plus, it's not like you two are going anywhere besides Steve's base site."

"Not everything," Ally muttered quietly. "So what do we owe the pleasure of your early company Peggy?"

"It's Steve."

"What's wrong? Is he okay?" Ally was quick to jump to conclusions.

"He's fine," Peggy confirmed. "But I just– I just feel as if he should be doing more. Colonel Phillips has denied me permission to go see him and–"

"You're using me as an excuse," Ally caught on. "You want me to go with you so you can simply tell Phillips that you were 'protecting me'. Is that right?"

Peggy nodded.

"Thought so, when do we leave?"

"If we want to be there before it gets dark, right now," Peggy informed. "I assume you two aren't coming."

Jojo shook her head. "I'm afraid not. If it isn't me watching over her, I'm glad it's you."

Ally stood up from her chair, using more force than she intended. She received a confused look from the three agents sitting down before she turned on her heel and went upstairs. She had to tell Nico she was leaving or he'd never forgive her. She quietly opened his bedroom door and sat on the side of his bed.

"Hey Nico," she shook his leg. "Kiddo, wake up."

Nico stirred in his sleep, rubbing his eyes until he had gained consciousness. "Ally?"

"I'm leaving again Nico, it's an emergency," she told him. "I'll be back again real soon though."

"You promise?"

"I promise." She kissed his forehead and left to meet Peggy in the doorway. She wrote a quick note to her parents and Kepler, expressing her deep love for them and then had to bid farewell to Jojo and William.

"We'll be moving out of Brooklyn, raising Adam and Baby Dansworth away from the war," William explained. "We will send you exactly where that is soon."

"I'll come visit once I'm back," Ally promised, holding her sister's hands before parting. "Take care of yourselves."

Peggy hugged Jojo and William goodbye before heading towards the car. Ally did the same, but not without packing her sword and the blue vial.