Chapter 4

Getting up from one of the long tables that filled the dining hall, Kallai did her best to keep her head down. The wood benches that ran beside each of the tables were full of her fellow students, all talking, laughing and eating, their voices bouncing off the stones walls to create a cacophony of sound that had any teacher not on duty eating in the faculty’s dining room.

            Kallai ignored the faint protest her stomach gave over the speed she’d filled it at, her attention on picking out those nearest to her through the veil of her hair. So far she hadn’t seen any of those who were used to targeting her, having eaten at the end of a table claimed by several Greens. As long as she kept changing where she sat she’d be safe.

Her shoulders hunched up, Kallai scurried across the room and out the nearest doors. With free time until lights out, the time after dinner was the period Kallai found herself in the greatest danger, and the time she took the greatest precautions. Walking close to the wall, she kept her eyes hidden but moving, alert to any sign that someone was taking notice of her.

She made it as far as the intersection of the two main halls before she was brought up short. Walking towards her, his friends surrounding him, was Azaz. His blue eyes widened momentarily before a smile spread across his face.

Kallai didn’t waste any time. She bolted. Taking the first turn, she swung around the corner, hiking her robes up with both hands so she could run easier. Already she could hear the running footsteps and laughter that told her she as being pursued.

Her feet slapping against the hard stone of the floor, Kallai didn’t dare slow even as she realized she was heading away from the dormitory. Azaz and his followers were all boys, and if any of them tried to get into the girls’ dormitory, the teachers would set them to heating, cleaning and lighting the school for months.

She turned sharply down the next corridor, keeping her mental map of the school in mind, she tried to throw her pursuers off by taking the side routes and narrow halls. But even as her breath began to come harder, she could still hear the voices echoing down towards her. Swallowing hard, Kallai tried to run faster.

Seeing the dark wood of the door that led to the fountain courtyard, Kallai only slowed long enough the rip the door open before continuing her flight. Outside, the cool air wrapped around her, even as she pounded out of the courtyard and onto the grass that covered most of the school’s grounds.

Kallai saw the swell of the hill ahead of her and turned so she was aiming straight for it. Behind her she heard the bang of the door being thrown open and banging off the stone, followed by a shout of “There she is!”

Sweat that was a mix of exertion and fear beaded up on her neck, as her hands trembled faintly. She knew Azaz and knew he was going to want to do something even worse than usual after her escape last time. Kallai tried to shake that thought away, focusing instead on escaping. Her legs churned as she began climbing the hill, hope a painful bubble in her throat.

Her tormentors were falling behind, years of running away having given Kallai more practice in being fast than anyone else in school, but the direction she was heading in didn’t have many hiding spots. The woods weren’t large enough she could truly lose them in, especially not if they used magic to smoke her out.

Praying that this would work a second time, Kallai flew up over the edge of Statue Hill, only to find the flat expanse of the top empty. She nearly sobbed then, but looked around, for something, anything, she could use to hide or as a distraction. Her eyes lit on the Smiling Man, his outstretched arms and the memory of what had happened the last time she was up here giving Kallai an idea.

She raced over to the statue, climbing up onto the small plinth he stood on, and threw her arms around his neck. Holding her body tight against the cold stone, she pressed her lips against the carved dolomite ones, hoping the darkness and memories of the last couple they’d interrupted would cause her pursuers to leave her alone.

It was no more than a minute or two later when she heard the panting breathing and breathless words of Azaz and his friends. “Where’d she go?” said Eran, his breathing audibly laboured.

“Did she cast a Shadow Cloak maybe?” asked Makol, his voice approaching her. Kallai shivered, hoping they didn’t notice.

Azaz snorted. “This is the spellless wonder we’re talking about. If she’d tried a spell we’d have heard the explosion already. She’s probably hiding in the woods. If we all cast some light spells, we’ll find her fast enough. Come on!”

Kallai listened intently as their footsteps pounded away, still not daring to move. The stone of the statue seemed to be leeching the heat out of her body, until their temperatures evened out. She waited, heart still pounding, until she could only barely hear the shouts of Azaz and the others.

Only then did she turn her head slightly, looking for any sign of anyone. When she saw nothing, she turned her head a little more, until finally, she turned all the way around. Seeing no one, Kallai’s shoulders slumped and she let out a sigh. She was alone on top of the hill.

At least, that’s what she thought, right up until arms closed around her from behind, making her squeak and struggle.