18|NOBODY'S SIDEKICK

From the window of the plane, Ally watched the wing reflect the moon in the sky. As the plane dipped slightly, all she could do was listen to the hum of the rotors and hope that Bucky Barnes wasn't dead. Peggy had managed to call in a favour and Howard Stark had picked them up in one of his planes, agreeing to help the infamous Captain America.

"You know, you three are gonna be in a lot of trouble at the lab." Steve mumbled, looking down at his hands.

Peggy raised her eyebrow. "And you won't?"

"Where I'm goin', if anybody yells at me I can just shoot 'em," Steve smiled slightly, looking over at Ally.

"They will undoubtedly shoot back."

"Well, let's hope it's good for somethin'," Steve ushered to his new strength. "What do you have in the bag Jones?"

"Speaking of that–"

"Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry," Howard interrupted from the cockpit. "I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue."

Peggy's cheeks flushed. "Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this airspace, we're lucky to have him."

"So are you two...? Do you...?" Steve fumbled with his words, his face slightly disappointed. "Fondue?"

Ally smacked her forehead, regretting all the times she should've spent on teaching Steve how to flirt. He was worse than anything she had ever seen, but it was slightly amusing. Peggy looked uncomfortable as she moved towards Ally and picked up her bag. "What was it you were going to tell us?"

"Don't tell Jojo."

"Oh no," Peggy's face dropped. "What did you do?"

Ally unzipped her bag, unveiling the sword she had been practicing with for weeks. Beside it, was the blue veil of what was left of the super soldier serum.

"Alchemy," Peggy stuttered in disbelief. "What did you do?"

"Erskine left the formula to the serum in my care. I mimicked the serum to the best of my ability but there was an explosion and the serum got into my bloodstream," she looked down at her hands. "I didn't mean for this to happen but it did."

"Ally–"

"I want to help," she firmly planted her hand on the blade. "I can help, I know I can."

"You're inexperienced. If something happened to you, Jojo would murder me," Peggy rambled, picking up the veil. "Why didn't you tell anyone about this?"

"It was too risky," Ally explained. "If someone had known that there was still a chance with the formula, the SSR would of been extinct by now."

"She's got a point," Steve spoke up. "What happened to her was an accident but she might of saved us all from another attack."

Suddenly, the plain tilted and everyone was flung into their seats. Steve pushed himself and stumbled to the door, Ally following behind him.

"Get back here!" Peggy shouted. "We're taking you all the way in. Ally, I can't let you go!"

Steve fascined his helmet onto his head. "As soon as I'm free, turn this thing around and get the hell outta here!"

"You can't give me orders!" Peggy gasped. "Ally, you aren't going with him."

"The hell I can't! I'm a captain!" he yelled back, wrapping his arms around Ally and her sword. "And damn right she is!" without giving Ally a second to really think any of it through or let Peggy scold him, they jumped out of the plane and straight to the ground.