Chapter 39: The Trial pt. 2

Aria's POV
"Drug abuse?" Lacey hissed, as we sat inside the defense conference room. So far, 4 minutes and 30 seconds were on the clock. That how long we had, to brief Lacey on the events that took place in the courtroom 30 seconds ago.

"I knew this would come up, but I had no idea this would be brought into court so soon." I replied, as my hands wrote a thousand words a minute. I had to come up with a redirect that would completely obliterate everything Dolton was about to question her about.

"Wait, you knew about my past addictions, and you didn't think to tell me?" Lacey asked, already starting to loose it.

"I was trying to avoid this exactly. It wasn't affirmative that the defense would even be able to discover this. Hell, I had to do some serious digging to learn about your heroine addiction. It was many years ago, and you have been clean since." I replied, glancing at the clock. We had 4 minutes left.

"Wait, why would he even bring this up in trial now?" Lacey asked, glancing back between Max and I.

"I would think, they are going to argue that Steve knew about your addiction and threatened to expose you. He threatened to essentially take your kid, and that's why you attacked him first. He's going to say this is self defense." Max explained, as he continuously handed me the objections sheet. Anything and everything that comes out of Dolton's mouth would have to be striken from the record in order for us to win this. That meant, I would have to object to quite literally everything that came out of his mouth.

I wasn't sure if I was even capable of doing that, but we were about to find out.

"Self defense? Are you fucking kidding me?!" Lacey seethed.

"I know, but listen Lacey, whatever is said up on that stand that I can't object to, you need to answer truthfully. This situation has just become immensely delicate, any lies can turn the table." I explained. 3 minutes left.

"What do you mean?" Lacey asked nervously.

"This case started out strong due to how many female jurors there were. Our judge was also a woman. They could sympathize with domestic abuse because they related with the oppressed struggles of being a woman in society. Now, you look like a heroine shoot up druggie who can't take care of her child. Do you see how bad that is? The fact that they are woman might play against us now." Max explained.

"Dolton knew this. That's why he brought it up before the recess. He's testing just how well Aria can save this issue in her redirect." Max nodded, as he began to change some things within his cross for Steve.

We had 2 minutes on the clock.

"Listen to me Lacey. Be as honest as you can. Play on the part that you sobered up as soon as you found out you were pregnant. Emphasize the love for your kid and how Nick literally means the world to you. Move the jury in a way a mother who loves her son so much she would sacrifice the world for him, would. Make them feel that." I instructed, pausing a second to look at her, before finishing up my redirect.

"One minute. We must make our way back to the courtroom." Max instructed, as all 3 of us stood, and exited the conference room.

~

"Recess is over, the trial will continue." The judge announced, as Lacey took her seat back up on the stand.

"Do you remember the question I asked you previously to the recess, or must I restate it?" Dolton asked Lacey.

"Yes. I was familiar with Heroine a few years back, I do not deny that." Lacey replied.