Letter

Sorry this chapter is super short and cheesy (cringes) Anyways...the next few chapters will get a bit more interesting? (I hope)...

Words are invisible daggers.

Robbing a woman's chance to become a mother is a cruel thing. Pain ate away my mind, leaving me dazed. I yearned to scream out in pain, but my lips seemed to not belong to me. Inching toward the door, I fell and stood only to fall again. Staring at the trail of blood, I laughed. Who was there to blame? I had gulped down the cup of medicine. No one forced the vile liquid down my throat.

"A blessing to the people of Western Liang, Princess Xiao Xia of the imperial family is set to wed the second prince of the Sui." Over and over again, the scene replayed itself in Dawn's mind. "More than a superficial reinforcement of the peace between our kingdoms, this marriage is also a token of unity between the long separated North and South."

When she awoke from her dreamless slumber, the stars were already settled in the moonless sky. Was the sky above the Sui the same?

"Dear, have you been well?" a familiar voice sounded from behind her, "They allowed me to come visit."

Dawn flung herself into her aunt's embrace. "Oh my dear," her aunt whispered, running her hands through Dawn's silky black hair, "Just look at you."

"Why? Why me? Nothing than a deceased lord's daughter..." the words seemed to clog her throat, "I cursed my parents. Because of me he died. And now they're asking me to..." She buried her face into her aunt's bony shoulders in a vain attempt to hide her tears.

"Sixteen years ago... a single letter changed our life," her aunt paused, "No more lies. No more stories. This might be the last time I see you as Dawn - as my Dawn." From her robes, she removed a tear-stained envelope. 

Dearest Ke, it has been years since you have last visited. At court, you claim me to be your emperor. Behind people, you call me your brother-in-law. No matter what, I ask you to help me...