Chapter Twenty One

I opened my eyes and realised I was at school, Astrid next to me. The twins and Flynn were sat in front of me. I don't think lesson one had started yet, I'm not sure.

My lap feels heavy. I look down to see mine and Astrid's hands locked together, fingers entwined. I smile at my girlfriend, looking at her from the corner of my eye. She's laughing and doesn't realise I'm staring. I think it's the most important thing in the world tha she's happy. I owe her that.

She turned her head and looked at me with curiosity. "What are you staring at?" Astrid asked.

I look back down at the table, grinning. "Nothing," I shrugged, squeezing her hand.

Astrid merely smiled and leaned in, kissing my cheek. I nudged her playfully. "Follow me," Astrid whispered in my ear, so only I could hear her. She got up and walked out the cafeteria, sending a wink over her shoulder at me. I followed her immediately.

Astrid was leaning against the lockers when I came out the cafeteria, sighing softly. I went over and wrapped my arms around her waist, pressing our bodies together.

"Hey," I mumbled, kissing her neck, my lips lingering. "What's up? Are you in pain again?" She had been in pain for about two days now, starting yesterday. She should've had her first Change by now but she hasn't.

Ryan just thinks she's a late bloomer but I'm getting really worried. If she doesn't Change, does that mean she's human? And would we still be able to be in a relationship? I don't know...

Astrid winced. "Not too tight babe," she murmured.

I loosened my grip slightly. "Better?"

Astrid nodded, burying her face into my chest. "Why does it hurt so much?" I let go, taking a small step back.

"How badly?" I demanded gently.

"A lot," Astrid groaned. With another strangled groan, Astrid clutched at her stomach desperately. "It's getting worse!" Astrid gasped, falling to his knees. "Harry, I think ... I think ... "

"It's happening ... " I finished her sentence for her. I grabbed my head, my fingers tugging at my hair. "No, no, no, no, no, no! Not now! Why does it have to be now!"

Astrid fell to her side, as if she was going to curl up and go to sleep. "Harry ... " she groaned painfully. "Get me ... out of ... here ... "

"Okay, okay." I placed my left arm around her back and my right just under her leg. I lifted her and ran in the direction of the school nurse.

It took a few minutes but I finally skidded to a stop outside the familiar door. I ran in, slamming the door shut with my foot. "Nurse! It's Astrid! She's going to Change!"

The Nurse ran from her seat and down a corridor, shouting, "Come this way!"

I followed her down the hall to another door which she opened, revealing a set of stairs which I followed her down into the basement I'm guessing.

What I saw made me stop in my tracks. There were cages, large enough for wolves like my size. The Nurse ushered me to place Astrid inside a cage so I did so.

I watched sadly as the Nurse locked the door to the cage, chucking the key over to me. "She'll be fine," the Nurse told me. "She'll just be in a lot of pain." The Nurse then leaves abruptly, dashing back up the stairs to someone who needed her assistance.

I fell to the floor, my back leaning back against the cage. Astrid did the same, holding her hand out to me. I grabbed it, running soft circles over her skin.

"Sorry baby," I whispered. "I didn't think the Nurse would have done that." I laughed nervously.

"It's fine," Astrid breathed. Her hand gripped her forearm tightly. "It's happening ... Harry. Stand ... back ... "

I get up and walk to the other side of the room. I stared at the wall, not wanting to see Astrid in pain. I listened to her shouts and screams for an hour or so until it stopped.

I turned to see a full grown, white coloured wolf with grey streaks all over its body. It was Astrid. Even as a wolf, she's beautiful. But then she saw me. She snarled, her ears flattening against her head.

As I went closer and closer, Astrid backed up, her claws scraping the metal floor, until her rear end hit the wall. She growled, narrowing her blue electric eyes.

"Astrid?" I held my hand out, palm facing her. She stopped snarling, tilting her head to the side. "It's me. It's me. I'm right here. It's Harry."

I edged towards the cage door and opened it slowly. Luckily Astrid didn't run out.

Astrid? I asked with my mind however I got no response. Then I Changed.

I kind of over towered her slightly in my wolf form but at least she wasn't growling at me anymore or showing me her canines.

With my head hanging low, I trotted over slowly. Astrid sat down on her hind legs. I slid to the floor, crawling the rest of the way, stopping in front of her. I nudged her paw gently with my snout.

I tried again. Astrid? Can you hear me?

Astrid's head shook, looking around. I can hear you. Uh, why are we in a cage?

Long story. I leaned down and rubbed my head against hers. I lay on my side, getting into a comfortable position; Astrid followed suit. Long story short, I took you to the Nurse and she took us down here. Apprantley she's an expert in Wolf Shifters. I chuckled nervously.

Astrid looked down at herself. This is really weird.

I shrugged in a wolf-like way. You'll get used to it. But now, you just need to rest.

But I'm not tired.

Astrid ... I shook my head slowly. Trust me, you will need your rest. You're going to be here for a while. Just come here.

She got up reluctantly and walked over, curling her body around herself against my side. How long will we be here?

I placed my snout on her back. Who knows? And those were the last words I spoke before I feel into a deep slumber, Astrid just beside me.