chapter 43

I woke up with an uncomfortable feeling in my tummy this morning and it's stayed with me throughout the day. It isn't painful, just terribly unsettling. I reduce it to bloating considering I did eat a rather lot at dinner yesterday. I slump in my seat beside Lily and remain blankly watching McGonagall as she teaches.

Everything is fine...until I feel it. "Oh Merlin!" I gasp quietly, slapping a hand to my mouth in shock. I feel something wet.

Lily tilts her head to the side worriedly and places a gentle hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong, lovely?" She asks.

"Lily...don't freak out but I think I've just wet myself." I mumble under my breath. Her eyes fly open wider and she eyes my chair warily. "I'm about to stand up, could you quickly check to see if anything is showing?" I ask nervously.

She nods her head immediately and scoots back to hide me from view from anyone else. I slowly stand and the moment my butt leaves the chair, Lily let's out a knowing, "Ohhh." I flip around to look down and find a small puddle of blood. "Lily! I've peed blood!" I whisper-yell. "I'm dying!"

Lily giggles and with a wave of her wand, the puddle is gone. "No, Chiara, you've only gotten your period."

"My what?"

Her brows furrow in confusion. "Your mum never taught you about this?"

"Apparently not...what's a period?"

"I'll explain on the way, we've got to get you to the bathroom right now. I've got a pad in my bag." She leans over the desk to retrieve some wrapped up something and quickly stuffs it in her robes pocket. "Flip around and I'll clean your robes." I do as I'm told, still extremely confused, and I feel my bottom half magically dry off.

Lily raises her hand and McGonagall stops mid-sentence to call upon her. The class goes silent and all eyes fall on Lily. "Professor, may Chiara and I go to go to the bathroom?"

"Both of you?" She questions suspiciously.

"We've got...lady problems." Lily says.

I remain confused though Minnie seems to understand as she says, "I see, go on!"

The class eyes Lily and me curiously but we ignore the looks and rush out. As we walk, Lily explains the whole period thing to me.

After emerging from our dormitory bathroom, now cleaned up and changed, I glare and begin ranting. "This is so unfair! Why don't boys get this? Girls have to suffer through blood dripping from our privates for about a week every month?! Bloody Hell! Quite literally." I exclaim grumpily while Lily laughs at my reaction.

"I'm afraid so." She says with a smile and a shrug. "I can't believe your mother's never had this talk with you before. Or even your sister."

I frown at the floor. I can't believe Mum never prepared me for this. No warning, nothing!

Lily smiles sadly at me. "Well, now that you've become a woman, I keep a box of pads in the bathroom, so feel free to take whenever. But please do let me know if you see it's almost out. Oh, and it's probably a good idea to always keep a few in your book bag. Just in case."

"Thank you so much for this, Lils. I can't imagine what I would've done if it was one of the boys who had to look at my puddle of murder."

*

"I knew it!" Remus exclaims, bouncing on his feet once I inform him of what happened back in Transfiguration.

"You did?" I raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah, my mum told me about it when I found one of her tampons in the bathroom." Remus explains nonchalantly. "And after Lily said lady problems, I knew it had to be your time of the month."