Eleven: Familiar

"Beauty is the greatest seducer of man." - Paulo Coelho

Carl's eyes are wide and watering as he looks to me in the semi-darkness. He's not crying from fear, no, the boy just hasn't blinked since we heard the knock at the door. We're frozen solid, I seriously do not want to open that door and see his mom or someone.

Wait.

If that's his mom, then why the hell is she knocking? I mean maybe this is just me. but typically people don't knock before entering their home. Especially if they know no one should be home, so a locked door isn't something to knock on. She should just get out her house key, right? The relief that floods through me is almost tangible to Carl as he gives me a still panicky, but puzzled look. I just shake me head with a humored smile.

It's amazing how impossible it is to think clearly when you're afraid. Sheesh!

"Carl... your mom would be in here screaming at us by now if that was her," I whisper still, though now I know there's no reason to. It's mostly for Carl's benefit.

I watch as he takes a moment or two to let my words sink in, I imagine the gears and cogs taking their time working the new information. Slowly, very slowly, a smile spreads over the goofball's face. All at once he grins and lets out a loud, relieved sounding, laugh.

"Oh my gosh! Yeah!" he yells with the same ginormous smile and I reflexively shush him. He shuts right up though, his mouth still wide and eyes relieved.

Motioning to the door, we tip toe over. Then standing up straight, I stretch higher by standing on my toes, I glance out the top window. Oddly enough, I can't see anyone. Maybe since I'm not the tallest girl around, they might be closer to the door. Falling back onto my feet flat, I shrug to Carl letting him know I can't see. He shrugs too then and reaches for the door.

Hesitating only a moment, which is long for someone like Carl who usually just dives into any situation head first, he swings the door open. Where I'm standing though, whoever is at the door can't see me. Which also means I can't see them. Not wanting to be seen now, I hide in the shadow of the door and just listen.

"Hello?" Carl says, his faces tells me he doesn't know who it is. This isn't exactly comforting news either, what if it's a creeper who saw two teenagers go into a house alone? He could be an axe murderer or something! Trying to not let my imagination run wild, I listen for the stranger's reply.

"Hey, um, I'm sorta lost. Can you tell me how to get to the high-school?" the stranger says. Wait... I know the voice? Where have I heard him before...

"Uh, sure," Carl starts seeming to look the guy over once more, then apparently in Carl's eyes he checks out, since his next words were, "come on in," and he opens the door wider letting the potential murderer inside. Nice move Carl.

Pressing myself against the wall behind the door, I let Carl open it all the way. Then once the guy's inside he closes it. Trying not to make a sound, I wait until they leave the room. Carl must've seen my motive since he doesn't make a motion to let the guy know I'm there. They exit into the kitchen and I finally let out my breath and fall forward onto my flat feet again. Now, trying to act casual, I walk into the kitchen again.

Guess what? I know who it is now! Seeing the back of his head was just enough to send floods of memories back to me, it's Mr. Beautiful, or better known as Kale- no wait... Caleb? Yeah, Caleb! No really sure what he's doing here, but hey. It's nice to see him. That's for sure.

As I enter the kitchen, I see that Carl's just being a good host and offering my man something to drink. Don't ask why I just referred to Caleb as "my man", but I'm allowed to think what I want, right? Anyway, Caleb's is seated at the counter on a bar stool, with a glass of water in front of him.