The Gift of Nothing

Prologue |

It's funny how life worked, how anything possibly worked. What's the point of life? Where is it going to get me? I asked myself these questions everyday, spending so much time just thinking about it. But I didn't want to. I never wanted to. Why do I even feel these feelings?

I will never understand it.

I used to have this friend. I don't actually know if we considered ourselves to be friends. I didn't even bother to remember her name, pathetic friend I was. In each class, I would just sit by her and she would sit by me. And for some reason, we kept quiet. A word was never spoken between us.

When she moved around, it was always stiff. I once saw a sliver of the bruises that trailed up and down her arms before she quickly covered it again with the sleeve of her hoodie. I had to admit, she was careful when it came to hiding her injuries. Man, she was good, but I was better. I could point out her slight limp from a mile away, that's how observant I was. But the stupid thing was that I never said anything about them.

One day, she disappeared. Without a word, a single trace, a note, nothing. She never came back to school the following Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday. Hell, she was gone for months before anyone really noticed she was missing. But I realized she was gone. Life was cruel, especially to her. I found out, months after her disappearance, that she was dead. This girl could've had a successful future, a family, a job, something worth living for, but yet she was found murdered by her abusive father.

Truth be told, I didn't feel anything for her death. It wasn't like I sincerely knew her, and I didn't lose or gain anything; I stayed the same. Sometimes, I wish I actually knew the girl with the bruises. Maybe I could have been a life saved, prevented her horrible death. Maybe we could've been friends. But now, it was too late because I sat there, observing her bruises, and not saying anything at all.

So, why care?

___________________

The trailer for The Gift if Nothing is up! I'd like to thank my really good friend, xitssavannah1808, for making it for me. I love her to pieces, and I'm very thankful :D Go follow her because she's just amazing. The trailer is also up on her YouTube channel: MrsGeorgiaCp. Subscribe to her! :D