31: Renzo- Talk to Me

can we make up in the morning?

****

*Mature content ahead*

MILA WASN'T NEXT to me when I woke up that morning. I found her sitting at the same place on the chair with one of her legs tucked underneath the other, which was touching the floor.

"Knowing your past with Julian," I started. Mila stayed quiet, but I saw her flinch a little when I said his name. "I should've given you more time to truly accept me. My past hasn't exactly shaped me in a positive way and I should've also said something about it."

"There's a lot I don't know," Mila muttered under her breath.

I sat down on the chair across from her, reaching out to hold her hand. 

"I know I fucked up," I tell her, hoping she sees how regretful I am. "I can't ask for your forgiveness, but I want you to know I'll help you find whoever is harassing you."

"I do accept you," Mila said, wrenching her hand from mine. "You just couldn't accept that you were my boyfriend."

"That's not true Mila," I argue, amazed that she came to such a conclusion. "I just didn't want our relationship to start based off a lie."

"I accepted the fact that I was a bet!" Mila got up and started pacing. She then turned to face me. "I accepted it because I love you! Yes, it was wrong, but you apologized. I don't know why we can't move on, it hasn't changed how I feel about you."

I came up to her and wrapped my arms around her waist. Seeing things from her perspective made me realize that both of us were at fault, but there was no point in denying how either of us felt.

"You're right," I sigh, placing my chin on top of her head. Mila reciprocated the hug. "I felt guilty for taking advantage of your forgiveness. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that you truly wanted me even though our relationship started off so rocky. I regret the bet, but I mostly regret that I walked out on you when you told me your feelings."

"Enzo," Mila whispered. "You don't have to give me an answer to that yet. You can take your time."

"No," I squeezed her tighter, deciding it was time to seize the moment. "I kept quiet about the bet, but I won't keep anything from you anymore. I love you, Mila."

Mila stilled. 

"Say it again," she said softly.

"I love you so much," I repeat, this time louder. "I was afraid that I couldn't keep you happy and that you would never feel the same way I've been feeling for the past three years."

I felt my shirt dampen, but as I try to put some distance between us, I see Mila's wide grin.

"I love you too," she looks up at me, her eyes shining. "I'm sorry I was three years late."