Chapter 3

The cold metal pressing against my skin makes me shiver. Reluctantly, my eyes flutter open to see my perpetrator sitting in front of me. I clamp my eyes shut, hoping he hasn't noticed yet that I am awake.

"Oh good you're up."

Damn it.

Only then do I realize the unwelcome pain in my wrists. A thick rope cuts into my skin, giving no slack. I grit my teeth as the rope digs into my tender skin.

"What is this?" I demand, raising my wrists to his face. To kidnap a princess is one thing, but to tie them up is something I will not stand for.

The man looks at me with no emotion in his eyes. "After the stunt you just pulled you expect me to trust you?" He asks coldly, but almost daring me to respond.

For a second I wish for him to kiss me or wink at me again. Just something to prove that the goofy side of the man sitting in front of me actually exists and wasn't my imagination.

"What's your name?" I ask, breaking eye contact to fiddle with the strap on my heels. If I have any chance of escaping I'm going have to be prepared to run.

"Caleb."

He looks at me as though he was expecting a reaction, but without any response from me, he walks away. Something tells me I should follow Caleb, but I return to my shoes nonetheless.

My options are few, on account of being in the air. After a minute of contemplation, I decide I'm going to have to learn how to fly this ship myself. But first to get my hands free.

I take in my surroundings, noticing a metal hook on the wall, only a few feet away from me. All is quiet in the ship, the few men aboard sitting together in the cockpit. I soundlessly scramble to my feet.

I'm careful not to slice my wrist as I saw through the rope. Years pass as the thick rope starts to rip, the threads separating from each other reluctantly, as if they were hands being torn from another. The last of the rope tears, finally allowing my skin to breathe. My heart swells with pride.

My spine tingles as I turn around, only to have my little flicker of hope snuffed out by Caleb standing before me.

"We're here."

***
The pungent air hit me before I had even taken a step out of the ship. The cloying smell permeates my nostrils, choking me. I grimace as I walk onto the soiled land before me. Caleb keeps a tight grip on my arm, restraining me.

"Don't act so disgusted, this is your city." Caleb says flatly. The sight and smell doesn't seem to bother him and I wonder why he would bring me to such a place. This can't be my city. This is no place to be proud of, and it's definitely not the place I love so dearly.

"This isn't my city." No response. We trek through what I assume are streets, only dirt paths trodden down by the people who use them. All at once the narrow trail opens up to reveal a town of shacks, weathered by time.

I feel a small tug on the skirt of my dress to see a small face, smudged with grime. Her shockingly blue eyes stand out against her dirty skin and bedraggled clothes. She holds her hands out to me, begging.

"I'm sorry, I have nothing to give." Her cheeks appear to be more sunken in than when I had first met her only a minute before. I try to tear my eyes away from the unsightly child before me, but can't help but feel a twinge of resentment for whoever or whatever had hardened somebody so innocent.

Without a second thought I bend down to pick her up, letting her head rest on the crook of my arm. She snuggles closer to me, her breathing shallow.

"What's your name?" I ask softly.

"Sara."

I hold her tightly, only loosening my grip upon realizing the only shallow breathing I was hearing was my own. My stomach lurches and I feel the bile rise to my throat.

"How did this happen? Who did this to her?" I demand, my head whipping around as I search for Caleb. "Where is her family?"

"She doesn't have one." A hand rests on the small of my back. "She's been on her own since her father died. I'm surprised she made it as long as she did on her own."

I feel my anger boiling inside of me, and a flush of red creeps up my neck onto my cheeks. "You're surprised? You knew she was alone. You knew she was starving. You fly around in a fancy airship, kidnapping princesses, but you can't help a little girl?" I feel like a tea kettle, I've reached my boiling point and I'm ready to scream at any time. Hot tears spill down my face, leaving streaks on my cheeks.

"Sara was strong. Most kids don't survive a day without somebody looking after them. There's nothing we can do, there's too many who are starving. You're the only one who can help them, Rose."

As much as I want to help these children I need to get home. I have a city to take care of. My father always told me how important I was to Amara. He told me I was what held us all together. Besides, I have no obligation to these people.

"I wish I could help, but there's nothing I can do. I need to go home. You need to take me back." I say shaking my head. "I've been gone too long already. If you take me back now, I'm sure I can convince my father to show you mercy. Maybe he won't kill you. Are you aware kidnapping the Princess is of the highest offense?" I rise to Caleb's level, shooting him daggers.

"I'm afraid I can't bring you home just yet. We have some unfinished business." Caleb returns my glare. "You'd better drop the spoiled princess act or you're going to get eaten alive."

I roll my eyes in response. He acts as if I'm the problem here.

Caleb grabs my arm roughly, dragging me along behind him. We snake through the streets, and I avert eye contact with any and all passers-by. I'm stopped at a bush, which much to my surprise, Caleb simply picks up right off the ground and discards to the side. Underneath I see a hatch hidden slightly by dirt. Caleb bends down to clutch the handle, yanking the door open. I see nothing but darkness inside as I peer into the hole.

"So sorry to do this to you." Caleb smirks sarcastically before pushing me into the dark abyss. My feet drop to the ground relatively quick and I can still see Caleb above me. He too, drops into the pit, closing the door behind him.

In the blackness I have lost a sense. Unknowing of what lies ahead I stay rooted in place. I hear Caleb's breathing behind me and my heart races.

"Excuse me I think I'll lead the way." He says whispering. "Sorry it's a bit of a tight squeeze. It'd be easier if you weren't wearing that stupid dress." I hear him mutter the last part under his breath. I feel his body press against me as he moves past me.

I follow the sound of his soft footsteps for what seems like hours. All at once the tunnel opens up and I am bathed in a dazzling glow.

"This is it. Headquarters."

"For what exactly?"

"The Liberatum."

Okay quick dedication to Hannahbanana2604 because she is so sweet and my closest Wattpad friend. Feel free to check her out!

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a while. From now on you can expect weekly updates from me on the weekend. Please remember to vote, comment, and follow! Happy Reading!
xoxo
b0wlofcherries