Chapter 2

Chapter 2

(Dr. Royce Covington---------->)

 After the crappy dinner of brown and green mush with a barely fresh apple and lukewarm bagged juice I was once again given clothes. This time instead of another pea green jumpsuit with the words, “County Jail” in block letters on the back, it was a pair of soft cotton drawstring yellow pajamas with, “Covington Institute” stitched in black letters on the breast pocket. Handcuffs were placed on my wrists and manacles on my ankles. The guards led me out into the muggy late evening heat after a series of beeps and bangs from the security doors and sliding bars that led to the outside of the jail.

 “Come on Boy, get on in there. We ain’t got all day.” The big burly no neck Guard prodded me in small of my back with the butt of his baton. I was moved away from him quickly, my fear of his bigger form hovering so close to me was ramping up my anxiety levels even more. I hated bigger men; my past experiences with them always left me in unbearable pain.

 I just sighed and tried to calm down and tried not to flinch when his meaty hand landed on my elbow to help me step up into the transport van. He sat me down on the middle bench as two other Guards climbed in behind me and took their seats on the back bench. My heart rate picked up and sweat began for form on the back of my neck. I hated this, and I prayed that this trip wouldn’t be a long one. The side door slammed with a resounding echo in the all but deserted parking garage and two more Guards took their seats in the front. Soon enough the engine rumbled to life and we set off towards the outer gates that would lead to the roadway and out of this pit.

 Even though I was cuffed and shackled, I felt like I was finally free. I was able to exercise, eat the food even if it was crap, and actually close my eyes and sleep unfettered and without fear and anxiety if someone was going to come along and hurt me. I didn’t have to worry about drugs in my food or drink or someone molesting me in my sleep. I didn’t wake up to slaps in the face or someone yanking on my privates. The Monster was dead and they said that I did it, even though I can’t remember any of it and don’t want to remember it. I don’t want to relive any of it, but they keep asking me questions and I just kept ignoring them.

 I watched as the landscape went from the busy inner city to rural areas with lush trees and dense bushes. I didn’t know what time it was and I really didn’t care to know. Time was of no consequence to me anymore since I was never free to do whatever I wanted, and I am not truly free now. The only exception is that I didn’t have HIM making my life misery anymore. I could have almost cried the relief behind that realization felt so good, but I refused to show that particular weakness to anyone. I was a professional at hiding my feelings. It was either hide them or get them beaten out of me that was what I was used to.

 The Van slowed and made a right turn onto a winding road lined by a thick line of trees. It was dark now but the solitary road was well lit. After a few miles we came up to a massive set of wrought iron gates, with even larger concrete posts. The thick walls seemed to go on for miles in either direction.

The Van coasted to a stop and the Guard driving it rolled down his window and leaned out and mumbled something I couldn’t make out into the intercom box sitting right outside. He sat back inside and slid the rolled the glass back into place. And then there was a loud buzzing noise before the huge gates slowly swung open and two large uniformed Security Personnel appeared in front of the vehicle. They waved the Van forward just enough for the gates to close and they performed a walk around the vehicle. They checked the under carriage and proceeded to shine their flashlights into the windows temporarily blinding me when the beam shined directly into my face.