Chapter One

EDIT (August 17, 2020): I would just like to remind everyone that the relationship between Stephen and Rachael is purely platonic at this point. They're only so close and comfortable with each other because they grew up together. They do not get together until they're both well into adulthood, with Stephen being 33 and Rachael being 29 when they get together.

Thank you.

—————————————

(Eight Years Later)

"Oh, Doctor Strangelove!"

Stephen rolled his eyes as Rachael climbed through his window. She was fourteen now, and he was eighteen. He'd thought that as they got older, she would gradually fade out of his life but she'd been stubborn and wouldn't let him abandon her. Besides, it wasn't like he had anyone else.

"Are you ever not going to call me that?" he asked.

"No," Rachael said. "So, I found this great college-"

"Rachael, stop with the colleges," Stephen said, sighing. "I've already told you that I really want to go to Columbia University."

"But this school has really good medical and theater programs!" Rachael said. "Just look at the brochure? Pleeeeeeaaaaase?"

"Columbia University has a good acting program," Stephen said.

"But my parents can't afford Columbia University," Rachael said. "And it's so far away..."

Stephen sighed and turned away from his computer to see Rachael flopped on his bed. "Rach, what's this really about?"

"You're going to college, Steve," Rachael said. "You're going to meet more people like you and you're probably gonna abandon me."

"Have you let me abandon you in the past eight years we've been friends?" Stephen asked.

"No," Rachael shook her head.

"So what makes you think you'll let me abandon you when I'm in college?" Stephen inquired. "I'll just be a phone call away, Rachael. I'll still talk to you."

"Promise?" Rachael tilted her head.

"Promise," Stephen said. He saved his college application essay and shut his computer off before laying down next to Rachael on the bed. "So, how's your graduation party coming?"

"Well, I just wanted to have you over, but Mom's insisting on the whole family," Rachael said. "You can still come to the ceremony and party, though."

"I'll be there," Stephen said.

"How's your party coming?" Rachael asked.

"The party is the least of my problems," Stephen groaned. "I still need to apply to all of the colleges, and the homework has been hell. I don't know how much more I can take."

"Same here," Rachael said. "I'm sure I don't have as much homework as you, but it's enough to make me panic a little."

"I need a break," Stephen said, stretching.

"Me too," Rachael agreed. She turned her head to look at Stephen. "Movie night?"

"Movie night," Stephen confirmed.

A tradition that they had was that whenever they were stressed or wanted an escape, they would have a movie night and watch movies. If they were feeling extra stressed, they'd order pizza. This was one of those nights. Rachael ordered while Stephen found the movies. They went down to the basement together and put in the first movie: Annie.