55 He's Gone

Iris~~

Whoever has learned to pack formal wear into a suitcase is my hero. Because really this is probably impossible if I want to avoid wrinkles.

The prince and princess are returning today, and it's been hinted that I should be prepared to leave early because with Erik joining the rebels and the attack a few days ago, it's not a good idea for the French royalty to remain here.

I drape the floor length gown over the opening of my suitcase and step back. Really it needs a garment bag, but that doesn't seem practical with how many dresses I'm expected to bring. Abella wants me to be a part of palace life: attending balls, functions, dinners, parties, and more.

My meager grasp of French is not ready for that.

I check the clock on my dresser. Breakfast starts in only ten minutes.

Leaving my suitcase in its current state, I head downstairs and to the dining room. When I reach my usual seat, most of the Order is present; though, Jonas is one of the few who is not here.

It's been . . . different between the two of us since his confession. A sort of sadness stretches between us during our language lessons and at meals there's tension in the silence. If my hand accidently touches any part of him, I feel as if I've done something not allowed to me.

He's not mine. He's going to be someone else's.

August arrives shortly after me, taking the seat on my right. Without Erik, he's scooted up one in table seating.

The attendants arrive asking if we would like anything to drink other than the water and juice in carafes already present on the table.

Across from me, Colton asks for a latte and Gwen a mocha. August and I stick with water.

Bently arrives next, which leaves only leaves Jonas and Percy's sister not present, but she's supposed to be with the twins this morning.

"You look like hell," Eli says to the Digamma who pulls out the seat beside Seong-ho. Bently's eyes are dull and slightly bloodshot.

"My mother," is all he will say.

The Order seems to know what that means and returns to eating.

When breakfast is already halfway through and Jonas still hasn't arrived, I finally say something, "Have any of you seen Jonas this morning?"

Gwen shakes her head, cutting into her waffle topped in strawberries and banana.

"He's probably working," August says. "He is the Preeminence."

I want to respond with a And you're the Delta. Shouldn't you be working as well? "Has anyone at least heard from him?"

"Maybe dinner last night made him sick." Colton takes a sip from his latte, the cup white and trimmed with gold. "But just because he's not spending every waking moment with you before you leave, doesn't mean you should be worried about him."

Riley offers me a smile. "Not everyone comes to breakfast each morning."

I'm sure that it only feels like there's a stone in my stomach because I'll be leaving soon. I'm nervous. And if I'm honest, a little bit scared.

The world has been closed off to me my whole life, and now that the doors to it are opening, I don't know what to expect.

*****