It Isn't Forever - Bucky Barnes

Words: 1225
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Featuring: Steve Rogers, T'Challa
Warning: Lil bit of angst, swearing, touch of ooc
Requested by anon
Summary: You knew Bucky when he was on the run, and now after the fight against Iron Man. A little sad to see him undergoing cryostasis, but you both know it won't be like that forever.
Author's Note: I have to admit Bucky is a little OOC after CACW, but this is what the request asked for so I went for it! Gotta love the fluffy angst and I love best friend T'Challa.

*Edited*

---

"Where are you going?" You followed Cap. Currently, T'Challa was letting you, Steve, and Bucky stay with him until Steve could get out and rescue the others.

"Nowhere, it's really not important-"

"It's Bucky, isn't it?"

Steve sighed, "Yes."

You nodded and began to follow Steve into an unknown part of where you were staying. "What are you doing?" Steve asked you once he realized you were right behind him.

"I'm coming with you," You said, "If Bucky is getting frozen again, I want to talk to him before it's too late."

"Why?" Steve slowed his walk, trying to stall.

You looked up at him with a serious face, "I... love him," You told Steve, and it was hard for you to say, but you managed to get it out without crying. Knowing you loved him and that he would be gone for a while, it really hurt. Why did you decide to wait so damn long to talk to him?

You and Steve walked into the room where Bucky and T'Challa were waiting. Bucky was sitting on the table with a wrap around his shoulder where his metal arm used to be. He stopped talking with T'Challa and smiled when he saw you and Steve walking in together.

You were one of the only few that didn't sign the Accords to help Steve and Bucky escape from Germany and get to the abandoned base (that you found Zemo in and had to watch Bucky, Steve, and Tony fight...), but Bucky was happy to know that you were still okay. You two knew each other from his days after The Winter Soldier fought Captain America, when both of you lived in the same town. You quickly became friends, but when you were found by the Avengers, you hadn't seen Bucky until the Accords broke out.

Steve allowed you to speak with him first, so T'Challa and Steve left you two alone in the room.

"I'll miss you, (Y/N)," Bucky sighed.

"I'll miss you too," You started, "But we both need to remember that it isn't- it isn't forever," You choked out, trying to stop yourself from even the thought of crying.

"I don't know how I'll live without you when I come back," Bucky confessed.

You put a slight smile on your face, "They're going to help you, Bucky, then you will be okay, and I'll be here, waiting for you."

"I cannot ask you to wait for me; we have no idea how long it will be," Bucky tried to stop you. He didn't want to hold you back from starting a family, a life!

You shook your head, "With the job I have, having an average life is difficult. Especially if I'm currently on the run from the law, I'll be more than happy to wait for you," You sucked in a breath, "Because dammit, I think I'm in love with you."

"Don't say that," Bucky turned his head away from you/

"Why?" You cocked an eyebrow.

"I feel sorry that nothing has come between us, and now I have to go," He sighed, "And for the first time since the second world war, I have a strange feeling when I'm around you," He rolled his head around. "I get butterflies when you smile, my face gets hot when we talk, and sometimes I can't even form sentences- I'm pretty sure that feeling is love," Bucky looked back to you.

"Bucky," You whispered, his eyes jumping to look at yours when you said his name, "I'll be here when you're out, okay?" You reminded him, and you two both leaned in for a kiss.

You knew waiting for him was going to be as hard as hell since you felt so strongly for him, but he was the one you wanted.

You gave Bucky one last hug goodbye and slowly walked out of the room. Steve saw a few tears go down your cheek, "It's going to be alright," He tried to tell you, but when you didn't reply, Steve just walked in to go talk to his best friend.

"You're not a bad person," You heard the low, accented voice of the Wakandin.

"According to the law, yes I am," You sighed, "I didn't even touch those damn Accords."

"You helped me with Zemo; I think I can deal with you not signing the Accords for helping me," T'Challa walked closer.

"What do you mean?" You turned around, "The real heroes will be after us; I'm a criminal."

"And I am now the rightful owner of the throne of Wakanda; I don't think your law applies to me," T'Challa smirked.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say," You cocked an eyebrow.

"You are a good fighter, and I can tell you believe in doing what's right," T'Challa started.

"I do not consider signing the Accords is the right thing to-" You stopped when T'Challa held up his hand.

"I want you to work with me in Wakanda. With all these new responsibilities, I could use the extra hand." He smiled.

Your face grew to match his smile as well, "I think that would be an honor."

---

Two years.

Two years without Bucky. Two years without your love. Two years with the nightmares.

Today you were awoken by T'Challa bursting into your room, and recently this had been happening a lot more. "What's wrong?" He ran over to your bedside. T'Challa had quickly become one of your closest friends, which made working with him fun.

You sat up in your bed, "Is it really anything new?" You sighed, and T'Challa sat at the end of your bed.

"I wish I could help you," T'Challa hated seeing and hearing you waking up screaming or after just experiencing a horrible nightmare.

"I keep having the same dream about Bucky: we get under attack, and he's released, but he doesn't go crazy. So naturally, everything seems normal. But soon we find out that there is HYDRA in the building, and they managed to hack into Bucky and-"

"I know," T'Challa cut you off; he had heard the explanation of the dream many times, as they have been very frequent for a while now.

"I'm sorry I scared you," You apologized as you went to get out of bed.

"It is fine," T'Challa smiled, "I have something I need you to look at," He grabbed your hand and led you out of the room.

You laughed slightly, "Where are you taking me?"

T'Challa rounded the corner of the hall and pushed you slightly forward. You stopped in your tracks, unable to move because of what you were looking at.

You didn't know what to do. It was almost as if your feet were glued to the ground, your mouth was stuck shut, and your brain turned to mush.

T'Challa waved his hand in front of your face to help you move. You lightly shook your head to try to clear your vision, "B-Bucky?"

"It's me, doll," Bucky slowly walked towards you.

You were finally able to pick up your feet, and you ran to him. You ran into a hug with his one arm supporting you. "It's really you..." You cried out.

"You were right; it wasn't forever." Bucky rubbed your back, and T'Challa quietly left the room to give you two some space.